Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a thread here on Thunderheads for Ironhead Sportster.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61975

No one mentioned the Sputhe XR style heads, so I figured I would.

Sputhe Engineering produced two style Ironhead Sportster XR dual carb heads in the early 80's.
They made a "bolt on" (hardly) head that utilized stock style Sportster cylinders.
They also made a large bore 3.500"-3.625" cylinder and "Race" head kit.
This head had different valve angle for improved flow.
Both types utilized stock rockerboxes, although the rockers for the "Race" heads had to be halved, rotated and rewelded for the changed valve angle.

Here is a link to a CycleWorld article w/ specifics on the "Race" kit.
http://www.counterman.net/v-articles/aluminumsteamroller.pdf

Here is one of my bikes w/ the "bolt on" type dual carb heads.

I also have a bike w/ the "Race" style engine, like in the CycleWorld article, but mine has a 4.4375" stroke. I will get photos when I get a chance.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Alan builds some cool stuff without a doubt..and a real nice guy...was out to his place awhile back to look at his 60 degree motored FXR he was selling at that time....should have bought that one.but didn't have quite all the money at that moment,and when I did..it was a goner..I did get to ride it at least..and look at all of the cool projects he had,including the mule for the original set of those heads..;-)

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is one of my favorite articles.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Chevelle:

Maybe a dumb question, but what year IH had the later came cover with the smooth primary cover? The CW bike had the same thing but I wasn't able to read the text. Nice piece of history you've got these. I've never seen Sputhe heads for sale, but a semi-recent article in CW had a bike with an Evo Sporty engine in a IH frame with Sputhe dual carb heads. The owner bragged that his bike had one of a very few pairs of that style.

I wonder if they're more rare (and $$$ than XR1000 heads?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That poor engine just screams and begs that somebody pulls her out of that roller...
I have to agree with you on that Danny. Beautiful Engine and ultra sexy exhaust, but the inverted forks, the side covers and the rear fender, just don't do it for me. Although it is very professionally finished. To each his own.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chevelle, screw the naysayers that thing is sweet. Any info on how you adapted the early primary cover to the later primary? Mill it off? Massive welding? Thanks!
Thanks,
The primary is a 67/70 xlh aluminum cover.
It is then cut as to only use the inner 2" of cover (as a spacer)
There is some welding at the bottom (where kickstand usually goes)
Also a outer plate at the upper right gets welded on (starter hump area)
The starter bearing must be kept intact inside new spacer.
So basically the 67-70 xlh cover is sacrificed to adapt a tin cover to a 67-70 long mainshaft/ double bearing dry clutch.

G

·
.........^^...........That Bike Rocks...........^^.........

Abundance of "Out of the Box" engineering and fabrication can be seen in the make-up.....

I would wager that it's a Joy to ride...
No Doubt, being powered by Sputhe that it can run with the Big Boys....
.......Look-out 124" Twinkies.......

I would need to give serious thought before I would open my "Pie Hole" and ask to run for Pinks...:D...Do see the need for Hi-Boost and a full bottle of Nitrous ...

==============================================

My Bet is.....Low 10's in the 1/4 mile....;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 30 Posts