Jockey Journal Forum banner

Sprocket Math

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  misfitJason 
#1 ·
I posted this at chop cult and wanted some second opinions...

I figured out the final ratio on one of my pans. With a 22 tooth sprocket the ratio is 3.53 vice a 24 tooth sprocket which gives me 3,24 (trans sprockets). Question is does anyone remember the range I should be at, or knows how to calculate so I can run this fucker at 70-75 mph without wearing the motor out?
Im stuck with only being able to change the trans and final sprocket since Im using a BDL open primary. Current set up is=
FS=47
CS=76
TS=22 or 24
RS=48

Math was done by dividing the CS by FS, RS by TS then multiplying the result. I think 3.5 is where I wanna be but not sure...
Any ideas?

#5 ·
I had your exact numbers on my shovel and would I could do 80mph on the freeway no problem.... for a couple of minutes hahahah. As for motor longevity, I couldn't say. I only had the bike for about 2 years...

This is the calculator I always use.
http://www.bikerenews.com/Stories_Archives/GearRpmSpeedCalculator.htm

You didn't say what size tire you were running, but if you're using a 130/55/16 you should be doing 75mph at about 4000rpm...

Mike

#10 ·
I'm in the same boat right now too. My evo BT with a five speed was sluggish all through the gears and revved high at 70. I want to know what I should change when I do my tranny swap here next week for a six speed. I've seen a crapload of the calcs but I have no idea what I need to be at or what I should be striving for so they don't help. My sprocket numbers are
motor compensator 25t
Clutch 37t
Trans 24t
Final 46t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.