Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think it'll be just fine. Harley went to spherical bearings on there late model springers (since they re-introduced their springers in when, 1988 I believe). When I started rebuilding those springers I looked into alternatives to the O.E.M. brand Aurora spherical bearings that Harley uses (pricey), and was suprised by the high thrust loads those spherical bearings will handle.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Yeah but the Ones H-D uses Are Different, Using Heimi Joints will work, but only you will find out, the loads are different for the split wishbones on Hot rods.

Just for comparison, The OG Hardened Steel H-D bushings pree 48 with proper maintenance, would last about 30,000 miles, the Bronze bushings most aftermarket Springers use only last about 15,000 miles with proper maintenance, which you Know they don't get!

The Post 88 to current H-D teflon reinforced Kevlar Bearings Last 35,000 miles, so that is only five thousand miles more than the Pree 48 springers!!

And at Over $600 in parts to rebuild........

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As long as you use good ones rated for the loads I don't think they would FAIL seeing how they get used regularly in race car rear suspensions that see A LOT of force applied to them. But those are 5/8 and 3/4 shanks too. What size are those? Good ones from the likes of Aurora are suggested but pricey (worth your ass though). Having one on ech side will keep them in line but the side loading on corners would concern me too. Show bike?-sure. Street ridden?I don't know. I am thinking that the joints will allow too much movement with all the pieces involved but since it's already there why not try to prove that theory wrong? Put your helmet on just in case!:)

Those radius rod front ends on hotrods do use them and there is side there too so.....

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
One last thought. If they were to fail and bust apart remember that the outer ring will slide right over the bolt and become seperated. Might want to run some real large od washers for a while during the test flights.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the whole setup as far as the rockers go. That pic looks like a regular Heim Joint, and those have a large range of motion. I use alot of sporty motor mounts for various mounts on projects because I'm into the roundbar look right now, and those are hardened and don't have the same range of motion as a heim joint does.

I'm just not seeing how a 21inch wheel (example) could corner with a rocker that is able to rotate at an angle with ease. Whatever the length of the front-end, it's still acting with alot of leverage against those easily rotated joints.

Sixball

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah Sixball, That's what I was thinking too. Seams they might twist a bit? Maybe I am mis-conceiving the setup?

Anyway, I looked up some info on the heims and Aurora says axial (side) load can be 10% of radial (17,995 lbs. radial for standard 5/8 and 40,572 lbs. radial for the heavy duty ones) on 3 piece joints and 15% on 2 piece joints (9713 lbs. radial).

3 pc rod ends are like $40/$55 each. 2 pc. are under $15 each.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.