Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a springer front end on my '82 sporty chop. My problem is that at very slow speeds (walking the bike into and out of the garage) the front wheel leans over onto the front fork leg. We have all the spacers in the right places and I have riden it for awhile with no ill effect but I don't like that front wheel lean. Any suggestions??

Bigdoc

·
Registered
287 Posts
bigdoc said:
I have a springer front end on my '82 sporty chop. My problem is that at very slow speeds (walking the bike into and out of the garage) the front wheel leans over onto the front fork leg. We have all the spacers in the right places and I have riden it for awhile with no ill effect but I don't like that front wheel lean. Any suggestions??

Bigdoc
Check to make sure all your bearings/bushings are not too worn, and make sure everything is tight. Some of that is going to be normal I think because of the movement in the rockers....

·
Registered
51 Posts
hudsoncustom said:
Check to make sure all your bearings/bushings are not too worn, and make sure everything is tight. Some of that is going to be normal I think because of the movement in the rockers....
I agree as well .Youll never get it completely out and it is because of the slight pivot(weight etc) of the wheel .As long as you know it's all tight and good to go.It's the "way it is"...Note early stock style wheels and springer forks were all held tighter...large brake drums with anchors to the fork leg,makes for more stable fit etc.Make sense?

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Do you have a picture ? I would say it is broke as shit and wouldnt ride it around the block . There shouldnt be any movment other than the wheel spinning around on the axle . side to side movement or weird " camber " at the top of the wheel means something is dangerously broken . I have a springer on my bike and there is zero " camber " at any speed .

Unless the springer is a block long and it is just twisting and letting the wheel drop over onto the rail . . . that even sounds scary to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah something is not right my triumph is all most 10 ft long with a make shift springer and it dont even do that. Could be the bushings in rockers, bad bearings in the wheel something is off. You are going to have flop if your front is pretty long but you shouldnt have the wheel laying over on the forks. Could you post a pic. Wear a helmet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts