Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy asked me to start a thread about this
Not 100% sure what kind of springer/tree combo this is but the pictures illustrated the neck stem sitting offset in the tree

Opinions on whether or not this is "OK" to run, if the stem should be centered in the tree, or ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
be careful some repro bars and trees dont fit and are way off , there a 3 stems 1, is inline. 2, offset {set back from the two legs } 3,
45 7\8ths

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is the bike sitting on it's wheels, or on a stand?? If there is weight on the wheels, that will cause the tree to bend, and look like that.

Cosmo

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
+1 with Cosmo!
If the top tree is not keyed into the stem nut and weight is applied the stem will shift , period. Setting a fork up like that with no top nut is just stupid and asking for trouble. The fork is a three plus foot long lever, what do you expect it to do? :rolleyes:
Robbie

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Like said above there is some flex to the these, you might be able to pull on the forks and watch the stem move around in hole. Set the wheel on the ground and see if it lines up. When i took my springer out of a box it had been it for years the top tree wouldnt fit I had to massage it on my stem looked just like yours when it was hanging there on a lift after being bolted togther it takes the right shape again.

·
Registered
653 Posts
A bare frame will not apply enough weigh to bend that solid steel stem, as shown in the pic. Maybe a thou or two, but not the 1/16 or so that he has. The stem is likely bent

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My buddy asked me to start a thread about this
Not 100% sure what kind of springer/tree combo this is but the pictures illustrated the neck stem sitting offset in the tree

Opinions on whether or not this is "OK" to run, if the stem should be centered in the tree, or ???
I don't think you'll get anybody to say to say that's "O.K." to run the way it is. Back up a couple of steps and check the fork and stem for any signs of bending or twisting. You can do that with a couple of straight edges, a square, and a tape measure. In the pictures you can see that the pinch bolts on the top tree are not tightened, which makes me wonder if the top tree is even seated on the legs. The top tree MUST be seated on the legs. You need a proper nut under the tree to adjust the pre-load on the neck bearings, and then you need another nut on top of the tree to cinch it down, then you need to tighten the pinch bolts to lock every thing together.

Regards,
Geo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts