Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended up with this springer and I thinkin bout cuttin down for a trump or ironhead sporty project in the future appears to be 6 inches over.
Anybody need a 17 inch halcraft chopper stopper wheel let me know brake comes on is about all I know and the rim is rusty good canidate for relace or powder coat..




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What the hell you guys are letting me down come somebody got some old chopper parts books or somethin or is still hazey for some of you grey beards from that time in the 70's:D
I just really like to know if i cut this down if i am choppin up a piece of history or if its just run of the mill springer.I am thinkin paugho not sure though.
Shoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
The unique shape of the rockers should help ID it. I have quite a few old catalogs and can only say that It's Not: AEE, Jammer, Amen, Eyeball eng, or Allen. I don't have a Paugho catalog but don't remember their rockers looking like that, I belive they looked a lot more like the HD rockers. I do have and add for a S.I.E. in Burbank Ill. from 1974 and it looks a lot like yours. But it just dosen't show the rockers clear enough to be sure. But that's close to you and back in the day there were hundreds of companies making custom stuff. Most of their stuff even when mail ordered stayed fairly close to home. Big builders could afford the high price and shipping of the big name springers, but everyone else bought close to home. As far as history, Old unbutchered factory front ends are worth money but I don't belive any of the custom front ends are worth much. It's design (stamped lower pads and weldedtrees) will make it hard but not impossible to shorten.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
I'll agree with Pony, it's not Paughco, Ness, Century, or Dick Allen. There were a lot of companies that made springers that are almost generic looking, hard to tell apart. Some of them were Wheel Specialties, C&G, RLR, SIE. Even AEE and AMEN springers look similar. So unless there are some real unique features, I wouldn't worry a lot about cutting it up and turning it into what you want.

Speaking of springers, has anyone looked at the new Paughco tapered leg, narrow springer. It is NICE. And I just got a flyer on some girder front ends that are really in the money too. Hum, the Pan project would look pretty good with one of them.

Larry T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys for the info.I was going to turn the ends off the legs and make new ones that slip over that could be welded on and then drill a small hole thru the new end that sleeves over the exsiting leg and pin them on and weld the pins.I not sure that explains my plan but I have a machinst friend who is top notch and I aint gonna build no death springer if it dont look like it will be safe I will move this out in favor of another one.

By the way I got this springer from a guy from chicago so the S.I.E. is a very good possiblity.

Thanks again Shoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Thanks you guys for the info.I was going to turn the ends off the legs and make new ones that slip over that could be welded on and then drill a small hole thru the new end that sleeves over the exsiting leg and pin them on and weld the pins.I not sure that explains my plan but I have a machinst friend who is top notch and I aint gonna build no death springer if it dont look like it will be safe I will move this out in favor of another one.

By the way I got this springer from a guy from chicago so the S.I.E. is a very good possiblity.

Thanks again Shoe
It's a Fury Industries springer...1976-79 somewhere, they were located in Sun Valley,California. (available at that time in: 3-8-10-13-16-19-22" over)
And you guys need to hear this from a guy in Europe??!!! :D ;)
Cut it up, weld it up, whatever, if it was an old Denver's narrow springer from these same years..then it would be somethin' else...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are not worthy.:D

Thanks Danny I knew we could all figure it out if we held hands and waded in together.That is why this board can become great because of the knowlege of the members.I am not up on springer history and I am not much on the preservation of stuff if it can be modified for the current project at hand, but if it was something that someone had to have or could not live with out I would rather them have it and I would have found another.
Once again thanks, now where did I put them sawsall blades:rolleyes:
Shoe
Danny F. said:
It's a Fury Industries springer...1976-79 somewhere, they were located in Sun Valley,California. (available at that time in: 3-8-10-13-16-19-22" over)
And you guys need to hear this from a guy in Europe??!!! :D ;)
Cut it up, weld it up, whatever, if it was an old Denver's narrow springer from these same years..then it would be somethin' else...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
now where did I put them sawsall blades
You're going to do an illustrated tech post on this, right?

On a somewhat related note, has anybody tried building their own springer from old Ford wishbone tubes? I hear Model A wishbones were a relatively common way to lengthen forks when they first started doing that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Bigcheese5300 said:
You're going to do an illustrated tech post on this, right?

On a somewhat related note, has anybody tried building their own springer from old Ford wishbone tubes? I hear Model A wishbones were a relatively common way to lengthen forks when they first started doing that...
Yes Bigcheese, Ford wishbone-arms had almost the same tappered shape in their whole lenght..altough, later Buchanan made some kits to extend your own original springer with weld-in slugs..they were available in different lenghts, somewhere in this forum somebody posted a picture from this..Bill's in PA (I believe) still has a couple in stock and sells 'em as NOS...! But some company's are reproducing original springers since some time now, you can not tell the difference ! Also for 45's,BigTwins (inline & offset),XA's, VL's, in chrome or powder black finish..also available since a year or so, original springers in extentions from 2" up to 20" over ! (from 12" over & up they have an 3° extra rake in the neck to get the correct trail..)
Here a shop in Holland-Europe who are carrying those repro front ends...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
We are not worthy.:D

Thanks Danny I knew we could all figure it out if we held hands and waded in together.That is why this board can become great because of the knowlege of the members.I am not up on springer history and I am not much on the preservation of stuff if it can be modified for the current project at hand, but if it was something that someone had to have or could not live with out I would rather them have it and I would have found another.
Once again thanks, now where did I put them sawsall blades:rolleyes:
Shoe
be carefull...oocchh !...:cool:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
Danny F. said:
be carefull...oocchh !...:cool:
Danny,
Did this picture come from an old magazine? Back sometime in the 70's there was kind of a war going on between AEE/Street Chopper and one of the other mags. There would be articles come out the same month in Street Chopper and either Custom Chopper or Big Bike (can't remember whitch one off the top of my head). One of the big issues was using 4130 in springers. AEE springers were made of chromemoly (sp) and AEE sang the praises. The other mag came out with an article about Hydrogen embrittlement and breaking welds in 4130. Tom McMullen was pretty savy in using Street Chopper to promote the AEE line of parts. But the magazine business got a lot bigger than the parts business and he moved on.

I ordered one of the kits to extend stock springers from Bill's and it's a good kit, but it's not Buchanans. I don't know who made it.

One thing that I mentioned in a thread that was deleted was the fact that Harley springers are sweated together with brass and if you weld the legs, the brass will get into the weld and weaken the weld. Any thoughts from welders here?
I'd better get back to work,
Larry T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Larry T said:
Danny,
Did this picture come from an old magazine? Back sometime in the 70's there was kind of a war going on between AEE/Street Chopper and one of the other mags. There would be articles come out the same month in Street Chopper and either Custom Chopper or Big Bike (can't remember whitch one off the top of my head). One of the big issues was using 4130 in springers. AEE springers were made of chromemoly (sp) and AEE sang the praises. The other mag came out with an article about Hydrogen embrittlement and breaking welds in 4130. Tom McMullen was pretty savy in using Street Chopper to promote the AEE line of parts. But the magazine business got a lot bigger than the parts business and he moved on.

I ordered one of the kits to extend stock springers from Bill's and it's a good kit, but it's not Buchanans. I don't know who made it.

One thing that I mentioned in a thread that was deleted was the fact that Harley springers are sweated together with brass and if you weld the legs, the brass will get into the weld and weaken the weld. Any thoughts from welders here?
I'd better get back to work,
Larry T
Yes Larry, it's out of a April 1971 Street Chopper magazine...The article is all about how strong 4130 Chrome-moly is against 1020 steel,etc...They are not talking about different manufacturers tough...;)
Hey, anybody with a (early) narrow "Denver's Choppers" springer laying around?? Preferably 20" to 30" over...? Any condition..Here some pics...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
If I remember right, most of the problems were with the longer springers. The chrome moly springers would break the rear legs at the welds on the lower tripple tree and the regular springers would bend the rear legs in the middle. Either way life got exciting in a hurry. I built a 47 Knuckle with a 24" over chrome moly narrow springer. The legs would flex going down a concrete bumpy highway and when you hit just the right speed the whole bike would pogo. The more you drank the less it scared you! That and having the turning radi of a 747 caused me to sell the Knuck and build something with a much shorter front end.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top