Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some questions about the springer front end. I have a '68 XLH with forks that measure full length 32" from top tree to bottom fork. Now I haven't been too educated with springer front end knowledge and am wondering which springer would be good for the bike. I've seen the +/-2" blah blah and have even called shops to ask about these measurement terms and what they meant, but haven't been getting any answers back for shit. They just reply with "We dunno if that one front end you're describing from our website will be good for your bike" and even after that statement, no recommendations/nadda. With that answer (which is not what i'm just specifically asking) I haven't been too pleased with results so far, so I thought I would ask some the experts on here.

All I really want to know is by your opinion, which front ends you've had good rides with and if you know which one would be good for my ride. Now the only stipulation is that I would like to keep the same front end length (32" full), however if you got feedback on that as well, feel free to reply with that as well. This part seems to be somewhat expensive and just want to make sure I get the right one.

Now I saw this one on someone's blog and thought it was nice:

In addition if you or know anyone that has one of these, feel free to let me know too since I am searching. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The generally accepted measurement is from the bottom tree to axle hole. Then any variation on this is the amount over/under, in inches.

Best thing to do is setup the bike with the wheels/tires you are using, and measure how long the springer needs to be for the bottom frame rails to be level.

As far as springer choice goes, it's really a matter of personal preference.
Just don't get a DNA..

Personally, I think the narrower springers look good on sportsters, eg ACME or similar.. look through the sportster picture thread for inspiration.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here is a picture of my bike. Stock length Springer on a 21' mini drum. The ride is EXCELLENT on this thing. Plenty of ground clearance....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts