Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and have consistently come across this site more than any other for technical randomness. I've spent some long nights on the search function and there are a few things I'm missing for my current project. I'm building a 98 sportster with a led sled 4" stretch hardtail that I'm hoping to resemble an early Harley rigid. There are a few fitment concerns that I could use some advice for before I get to the cutting, grinding or wasting money. Thanks in advance for any advice.
<O:p></O:p>
Gas Tank
I was looking into a Knuckle or Pan tank. I need the tunnel for pogo T bar on the tank. I cannot find anyone who has put one on a sporty. My concern was with the length and if the T-bar pivot will be in a reasonable position and have clearance for a DNA Springer or wide glide.
DNA Springer / Wide Glide Triple
Lots of info out there but what is the tank clearance issue? Will this be an issue with FLH style tank? It should sit lower than a stock sporty tank? My other option is a wide glide triple, will this be a better option or am I just stuck with a narrow glide for the time being?
Horseshow style oil tank
Knuckle head / Panhead tanks look promising with the rigid frame. What about softtail oil tank? Is there any difference between the two or any other suggestions for my application?
Panhead / Knucklehead fenders
I want to retain the 130 tires so I doubt the Panhead fenders will fit in the frame rails. Knucklehead rear tire I believe was a 130 as well, are these fenders skinnier than the later Panhead, FLH fenders or any others that might work I'm missing.
Just as a curiosity there's a lot of info about ride comfort of a rigid but what should be expected of the pogo seat. In theory there's more travel for my ass than stock suspension. Is there any first hand experience to how this will compare in the real world. Typically I ride about 20,000km a year with about half that on a single trip.
Thanks in again for any advice.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
As you know anything can be built or fabricated BUT I would abandon ship and get a seventies electra glide. Hardtail that and you nearly have your dream bike. They even sell panhead heads that fit the shovel engine. You'll have the pogo, Big twin wide glide, fatbob tanks and 16" wheels. All in all you will save thousands over working on your Sportster.

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
As you know anything can be built or fabricated BUT I would abandon ship and get a seventies electra glide. Hardtail that and you nearly have your dream bike. They even sell panhead heads that fit the shovel engine. You'll have the pogo, Big twin wide glide, fatbob tanks and 16" wheels. All in all you will save thousands over working on your Sportster.
I agree with VonWegener. Save yourself the headache of trying to make something into something that it isn't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id considered just that quite a bit. Im going to cut it up and tinker regardless of what I start with, that is just what I do. for me its more of the build that I enjoy enjoy or just seeing if I can fit this into that. not everyhting that leaves my garage makes sense and looks like alphabet soup but damn was it fun :=)

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Don't waste money to own what you didn't want in the first place..
Sell the Sporty before it becomes a money pit..

(just my 0.2 cents of course)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm anticipating getting my first HD project so I've been doing a lot of research, and if I'm into it I can be pretty good at it. With todays economy the shovels have got to be the best bang for the buck out there. I'd ebay all the other stuff and do what VonWegener said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the advice guys. I agree with a lot of what your saying and I do own a shovel but the big problem ive had with hacking her up is I have an annual trip thats approaching 10,000 km and this year Im thinking about making a little detour that will almost double that. Trusting old clunky in rural canada where parts for an evo can be scarce makes me think twice about using my shovel for that.

Guess im going to have to start the hardtail part first and just drag it down to the local shop and see what i can mix and match to make something like what i had in mind.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've taken my Shovel to the West Coast and back without trouble. A well maintained shovel is actually pretty reliable, unless you don't work on your own shit. Then you may as well buy an Evo, or Twinkie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mines a beast at the best of times. I'm working on a full rebuild this winter and shes going to be my fall back plan if the rigid chop doesn't work so well for the long haul. Bought the sporty just for a daily driver a while back with the intentions of chopping it. Really it's just the most disposable Harley ever built and I look at those discovery channel choppers or 70s raked creations and just don't want to regret cutting up my FL later on. But a sportster really who cares.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts