Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story. I have had my bike for something like 8 years. I bought it new in '98. A couple months later my brother bought me a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner kit. I had barely put any miles on it because of the winter weather, etc..

So I put the air cleaner on it and I could actually feel the boost in power- though it was subtle. It was still really cold out but it ran good. Once the hot weather rolled around I noticed that the performance was still good but the bike was running a little off.

I figured that the increase of intake, but lack of exhaust was maybe causing a little problem so I drilled out and removed all of the "guts" in the baffles. Again more power, and even more running wrong.

Bike runs hard but needs some more R's, so I bought a Screamin' Eagle Ign. Module. Now I can rev to the moon (for a Harley anyway) and it did help lots of little nuances, but in all the bike was still missing something.

At this point I figure that I had fucked up the mixture in the carb, so....bought a carb kit with a carbon fiber slider and new jets, the whole enchilada. Tried some of the smaller jets, some of the bigger, blah blah blah...found a happy medium (at least in terms of performance). Still not running right.

keep in mind that time is ticking here and years are going by....

One of the main problems I was having was a lot of pinging - even with really good gas (100 - 103 octane). The bike is fast and powerful, but not running right.

I thought maybe the plug wires could be the culpret...went to buy plug wires and thought, you know if a guy needs more spark - get a hotter coil. So - I bought a bunch of goodies... I got a Screamin' Eagle Dual coil with bigger better plug wires and new plugs. Still running bad.

It was at this point I sought professional help. I took it to the dealers, they (claimed) that everything checked out ok....so I took it to a local "biker" shop. they dug into it and claimed that it had flaws in the bore. I shelled out a grand to get it align bored and new Wiseco pistons. Got it back and rode it home.

I thought that they did it, but sure enough - next time I took it for a long ride, same issues........broke AND pissed.

Nutshell:

1200 evo bored .020 over
Wiseco Pistons
Dual plug, higher compression heads (10:1) - From the factory BTW
S.E. 50,000 volt Dual coil
S.E. Ign. Mod.
S.E. Plug wires
S.E. air cleaner kit
S.E. Carb kit
S.E. Plugs
Modified factory exhaust (straight pipes w/ x-over)
(for got to mention - later added a pair of the exhaust cones, supposed to be anti reverse. Helps give back pressure and velocity to exhaust - :rolleyes: - yea I fell for that too.)

And the problem:

Bike runs perfectly when I first start it up. Cold performance is spot on.
After about 20 miles or a half hour (on a warm day) it starts to puff smoke when you blip the throttle at idle - not just a little either, a pretty embarassing amount. It kinda idles a little high, but nothing bad. It pings badly under even moderate throttle under load or in accelleration.

Because of this I have generally kept all of my rides pretty short. If and when I do go for a long run I will have to stop and give her a rest before I get into a parade like traffic or the pinging and smoking gets worse....

Please help me figure this out - I am not a mechanic, I do art and paint work. I will grab a wrench - I can handle that, but it's the trouble shooting that I can't do well.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Things I need to know
smoke is it white?
you may have two things that are out of adjustment one is your carb. your accelerator pump may be set to high, also your main issue with the pinging is defintely a timing problem. your curve is off. now on the SE you only have one curve so you need to adjust it by moving the cone the gizmo inside your timing cone. (which may be bad, check to see if it soft or gooey or misshaped, its a clue that it got way to hot down there) But lets pretend its ok. mark your existing timing with a sharp screwdriver or sharpie. check your timing to make sure it set to factory, mark it again if different. since you dont have a backyard dyno go for a ride with your timing cover offand a stubby flathead in your pocket. get it to where its pinging again, get off the bike and RETARD the timing 2 notches, drive around some more and if it is still doing it adujust it one more notch. do this till you run out of notches or it stops pinging if it stops pinging Advance it 1 notch and let the bike cool.then go for a ride see if it still pings, if it doesnt leave it or retard it one notch if it does. at 10.1 comp you have to use premium gas, also run a cooler plug it will help alot.
From what you described this is what I think is wrong, but I may be wrong.
fastsporty

·
Registered
421 Posts
This just screams tuning, ala timing and fuel delivery adjustment, but I don't know jack about tuning modern HDs with all their various electrics. But I see a lot of apologetic evo owners around here so I'm sure someone will come up with a suggestion.

Until then, BTTT.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Seems to be tuning and timing. Did you drill out the little aluminum plug that covers the mixture screw? If not, you need to uncover that screw so you can finetune your mixture. Check for this and your timing and you should be able to work it out.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm not familiar with HD carbs, but here's what it sounds like to me. More air in and better flow out equals a lean condition with stock carburetion. You need to go with a bigger main jet and adjust that screw that's covered by the aluminum plug.

This could be totally useless when applied to Harley carbs, but it sounds like you're running lean. How do your plugs look after a ride? That'll point you in the right direction once you get your timing set.

Good luck,
Jay

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oookay...

Well. I am gonna need some time to get out and check these suggestions. I might have to ask a few more questions.

I think the smoke is mostly white, but it does sometimes have a blue tint - but onyl a hint....I am no expert in things of this matter though, but I can tell you it's not black.

If I change the timing only (to get rid of the ping) will it probably still smoke?

Is the smoke the indication of a lean mix or is it the ping?

Thanks for the direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts