Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
What he said. This is very common. Slow jet replacement / mixture adjustment, MAYBE shim the needle, increase main jet a bit. 883s are happy motors. Quick revving, but not much torque. Also, very forgiving of pipe changes (well spec'd stock cams). A little carb work will pay off tremendously. Good luck! Also, chugging and jerking are VERY common primary chain adjustment problems. Sportys can also be particular about shifting into low and neutral when some primary / clutch adjustments are not just so.

[Qote=TurboRoadster]ok, so it still farts after the rejet?
done by an indy or some buddies for a 6 pack?
the farts can totally go away, try shimming the needle ever so slightly and adjust the primary chain, it will solve some of the lurching I'll bet.

an 883 with air cleaner and open pipes prolly would be happy with a 42 -45 low jet, and 170-175 main and a stock needle shimmed., air fuel screw at 2 - 2.5 turns from closed. should be a good starting point.
my 04 1200r when it was stock, in Houston altitude and humidity with SE air cleaner and SE II pipes no baffles liked a 42 low, 180 main and a N-65 needle with one shim, air fuel at 2.25 turns. no farts, hauled ass and plugs looked purty.[/quote]

· Registered
237 Posts
reverbunit said:
conclusion:
it was the tranny. 1st gear and 3rd gear was "buggered". 1st being the worst. also had a bent shifting plate. whoever put the original 6,000 miles prior to me owning it didnt know that a clutch is used when shifting gears. bastard.
Damn, those trannys are tough, too. In 6,000 miles, somebody must have dogged the shit out of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.