Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Sporty (883), Original Carb But has been Rejetted (American Eagle FlowJet), new plugs. 16k miles

No one knows what is causing this.

i am at a red light. I pull off in first. about 60% - 75% of 1st Gear the bike Lurches which feels like my main belt drive slips a few teeth.

ok..

so i pull up to the next light. i pay attention to my throttle and slow roll the throttle real smooth like. it does not do lurch. but as i approach the next red light (i live in dallas and u stop at every light cuz they are all red when you get there) it spits back out of the carb...

so i am thinking carb problems.

It never lurches as long as it is CHOCKED as well. so i am still thinking Carb probs. has anyone ever experienced this. everyone just shrugs and says sorry dude. i dont know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has it been rejetted since the pipes were added? YES
has the air/fuel adjustment screw been played with yet? YES
has the primary chain been adjusted recently? NOPE

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
reverbunit said:
has it been rejetted since the pipes were added? YES
has the air/fuel adjustment screw been played with yet? YES
has the primary chain been adjusted recently? NOPE
ok, so it still farts after the rejet?
done by an indy or some buddies for a 6 pack?
the farts can totally go away, try shimming the needle ever so slightly and adjust the primary chain, it will solve some of the lurching I'll bet.

an 883 with air cleaner and open pipes prolly would be happy with a 42 -45 low jet, and 170-175 main and a stock needle shimmed., air fuel screw at 2 - 2.5 turns from closed. should be a good starting point.
my 04 1200r when it was stock, in Houston altitude and humidity with SE air cleaner and SE II pipes no baffles liked a 42 low, 180 main and a N-65 needle with one shim, air fuel at 2.25 turns. no farts, hauled ass and plugs looked purty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i was in houston i would be bringing it to you.

noted. i will post my findings...

thanks

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
call me tomorrow 713-834-7961.
put in fresh plugs, do a plug chop and read em, work from there. also look at the pipes for sooty or not. 883 should be a breeze to tune out.
I still say with that many miles on the bike, you will also need to adjust the primary chain if you know how, if not, I will fax you the page from the manual or explain it to ya, its easy. That causes lurching feelings big time.
Tim

·
Registered
237 Posts
What he said. This is very common. Slow jet replacement / mixture adjustment, MAYBE shim the needle, increase main jet a bit. 883s are happy motors. Quick revving, but not much torque. Also, very forgiving of pipe changes (well spec'd stock cams). A little carb work will pay off tremendously. Good luck! Also, chugging and jerking are VERY common primary chain adjustment problems. Sportys can also be particular about shifting into low and neutral when some primary / clutch adjustments are not just so.

[Qote=TurboRoadster]ok, so it still farts after the rejet?
done by an indy or some buddies for a 6 pack?
the farts can totally go away, try shimming the needle ever so slightly and adjust the primary chain, it will solve some of the lurching I'll bet.

an 883 with air cleaner and open pipes prolly would be happy with a 42 -45 low jet, and 170-175 main and a stock needle shimmed., air fuel screw at 2 - 2.5 turns from closed. should be a good starting point.
my 04 1200r when it was stock, in Houston altitude and humidity with SE air cleaner and SE II pipes no baffles liked a 42 low, 180 main and a N-65 needle with one shim, air fuel at 2.25 turns. no farts, hauled ass and plugs looked purty.[/quote]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the bike is under warranty. i got the extended warranty and the harley shop is saying it is the Tranny. hmmmmmm. says it is slipping out of first. possible? i will call "TurboRoadster" today.

scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
conclusion:
it was the tranny. 1st gear and 3rd gear was "buggered". 1st being the worst. also had a bent shifting plate. whoever put the original 6,000 miles prior to me owning it didnt know that a clutch is used when shifting gears. bastard.

·
Registered
237 Posts
reverbunit said:
conclusion:
it was the tranny. 1st gear and 3rd gear was "buggered". 1st being the worst. also had a bent shifting plate. whoever put the original 6,000 miles prior to me owning it didnt know that a clutch is used when shifting gears. bastard.
Damn, those trannys are tough, too. In 6,000 miles, somebody must have dogged the shit out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts