Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I am gonna chop the hell out of mine!

I bought this thing years ago, spent some time building small parts for it but hated the neck tube on it. When I got it, there was a Smith Brothers 14" over Chrome square girder on it with an 18" wheel. Ebay'd it for nearly what I bought the bike for!

So now to make the bike what I want, I bought this 98 FLSTS springer for $900.00 then sold off the running lights and wheel for $300 or so. I already chopped it 2" a few years back but now my tastes have grown so I am gonna chop it 2" more!

Take a look at my progress from the last two days.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spent a lot of time measuring things out to see just how fucked this frame is. And damn it it isn't bent bad, this frame was never on the streets just a long term project I bought at a yard sale.

But that's why we chop stuff

I will update this as soon as I have more progress to report. Back to my daily job building hotrods!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like the frame table, there is more steel in the fork mounting bracket than the bike:D

I have a question, what are the measuring points that you check to see if a frame has damage?

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dixiedog said:
I have a question, what are the measuring points that you check to see if a frame has damage?

Thanks Brian
I used a bubble level on several spots on the engine and seat post tubes to make sure the thing was straight up. Clamped the frame down with a heavy ratchet strap. Then ran a plumbob down from the back boneand slid an aluminum strap under the bike to reference centerline from the plumbobs. Next I measured the aluminum strap to the lower tubes to make sure the backbone was straight. Fortuneatley that part of the frame is straight.

My rear wheel is a bout 1/4 degree to the right of center but I will push that around after I tackle the neck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better eat my Wheaties!

El Caballo said:
No, you suck... I'm going to have to mug you for that thing when it is done.
Ok, spent a couple more hours and have it tack welded for trial fitting. But here is the process so far.

I needed to do something with the down tubes. This thing has had the back bone stretched 6" and I want to shorten it up 3". As seen in the previous posts the backbone was easy enough to do with the help of a 1 3/4" hole saw and some steady hands. But those pesky down tubes just bugged me. I contemplated building a wishbone or single down tube but just can't bring myself to do it on this bike.

So I broke out the rosebud tip and with a heat shield between the generator and the frame, heated up the tubes over a large area to a dull red and forced the tubes into the new position I wanted.

Next I clamped the tubes together with some bar stock a tie down to keep them in alignment. I put my hole saw on a long arbor and ran it down through the tubes. Some test fittning and a little hand grinder work I got the neck I fabricated last month to fit.

I tack welded it in place and set my plumb bob up as well as the bubble level and various squares to make sure everything is where it needs to be.

Then just for fun, stuck the fork leg in and mocked up the wheel and headlight to stand back and make sure it "looks" right.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to put in a few more hours on the front end.

Last week I got the new neck tacked into place and the spring fork mocked up. I found the fork was bent so I had to fixture it up and push it back into square. I was pretty pleased that my previous shortening (2") held up just fine under the stress! But once it was square I had to chop it 2" more!

check out the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now all that is left to do is:

Shorten the spring leg,
Fabricate bars,
Get it rechromed or powedercoated,
Fabricate an exhaust system,
Fabricate a forward swept intake,
Relocate my oil tank and remount it,
Plumb the tank,
Etc,

·
Registered
398 Posts
looks good nice work on the neck but it has that smashed into a wall look with the springer tucked so close to the frame.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
yeah, i want to know too!
never seen this build before, and i want to see the result!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez, uh been a while since I posted anything here.

I did manage to finish the front end except for some steering stops. My next project was to build the exhaust but I got stimied on the tubing I wanted to use. I bought all the stainless steel tubing and U-bends but I wanted to get a set of these "doughnuts" for the majority of the tight bends.

I ordered them from the Chassis Shop months ago but they were back ordered. I finally got them last month and they sent me mild steel ones. Now I have to send them back and hopefully re-order the correct ones.

I will post some new pictures Monday when I get back into work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts