Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Sporty 18" in one corner. In the other, a '67-72 juice drum. Other than a few extra holes in the hub and the bearing retaining threads being opposing directions, is there anyone who has put the drum on the Sportster hub and lived to tell about it? Seems like a REALLY cheap and easy way to make an 18" Big Twin rear juice brake to me.

Maybe offset?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you'll have a drum width problem first of all.
The BT drum is wider I think. And you might have to offset the rim as well.
Someone will have the answer.

skinny

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If I am not miss reading the post you are wanting to make a 18 inch rear big twin wheel. So unlace both wheels and put the correct hub and drum to the correct wheel you want to use. The spokes should be useable to either hub 16 in sporty wheels use to be real popular. That way the only expence you have is the time to unlace and relace the wheels.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, thanks. I had in my head that, since the bolt pattern for the drums was similar looking, I could just bolt a BT drum to a Sporty hub and be done with it, but I think I did it a while back and it isn't even close.

The sporty wheel is someone else's...just a fleeting thought.

Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Big Twins Drum up on the Left Side, completely different offset and tolorances..
Motto to the Story... Nothing is That Easy...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would also add the threads are reversed because of the wheel rotation so it will "tighten" rather that loosen while in motion. i.e older cars had left threaded lugs on one side and right threaded on the other....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts