Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve seen these on a few bikes...are they home-made?

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

I don’t think I’ve seen two the same (probably answered my own question there), but I wonder if there is some similar aftermarket race part out there.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hey dude! long time.

There's companies who make these 110%. I can't tell you who, but I've seen them for sale previously.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They’re called a “Cafe Hump Seat” if you search for that you’ll find some.

Banggood, the Chinese marketer, has a half dozen or so cheap ones for less than $75 each if you aren’t sure you want to pull the plug yet on a costly custom.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its a pretty easy build to be honest and can be made from one piece of 18 gauge sheet metal, with a couple pieces of thin strap welded inside to give it rigidity. ive also seen them made from fiberglass, since they arent meant to support much weight.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They’re called a “Cafe Hump Seat” if you search for that you’ll find some.

Banggood, the Chinese marketer, has a half dozen or so cheap ones for less than $75 each if you aren’t sure you want to pull the plug yet on a costly custom.
Huh, there are actually quite a surprising number of IHs in China I’ll have a look. Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a pretty easy build to be honest and can be made from one piece of 18 gauge sheet metal, with a couple pieces of thin strap welded inside to give it rigidity. ive also seen them made from fiberglass, since they arent meant to support much weight.
Yeah, you’re right. I might make a foam or card mock-up and see how I like it. I’d be glad of any pics if you’ve made one

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've sometimes wondered whether an otherwise crapped-out old bike helmet could become part of a hump seat, just because readymade semi-hemispherical shape, easy to cut and (I imagine) to bond 'glass or what have you to. Cookie, I have just such a helmet and will happily let you buy it for $85. F.O.B. San Francisco.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've sometimes wondered whether an otherwise crapped-out old bike helmet could become part of a hump seat, just because readymade semi-hemispherical shape, easy to cut and (I imagine) to bond 'glass or what have you to. Cookie, I have just such a helmet and will happily let you buy it for $85. F.O.B. San Francisco.
That’s a generous offer, I’ll give it some thought. Though I’ve been meaning to try glass fibre for a long time and have all the necessary implements to fashion a form. I’m using all my strength not to make a lewd joke about my ass / proximity / your worn out helmet. Dang, there you go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That’s a generous offer, I’ll give it some thought. Though I’ve been meaning to try glass fibre for a long time and have all the necessary implements to fashion a form. I’m using all my strength not to make a lewd joke about my ass / proximity / your worn out helmet. Dang, there you go.
Hey, hey, hey... My coffee doesn’t need to come out my nostrils!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The hump style cafe solo seats have been with us forever. The new style has a different origin. The trend started in Japan where smaller riders on rigid frame bikes want to get closer to the handlebars. Professional US builders brought that trend over from Japan and incorporated them in their showbikes. While a great look on a rigid this design really shines on late model sportsters.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The hump style cafe solo seats have been with us forever. The new style has a different origin. The trend started in Japan where smaller riders on rigid frame bikes want to get closer to the handlebars. Professional US builders brought that trend over from Japan and incorporated them in their showbikes. While a great look on a rigid this design really shines on late model sportsters. View attachment 272375
Thanks Mike, I had a feeling it started in Japan. I need to find that Japanese scene thread and go through it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts