Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys done with swingarm sportsters as far as skinnier fenders and stock-ISH fender struts when lowering the rear shocks. I wanna slam my Ironhead as much as possible but of course the fender must move up in order to do this without rubbing....please post what you got, just trying to get some inspiration not just copy what you guys are doing...thanks!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
if you check out the mai page there is a sticky for "our picture threads". check out both sportster threads and the shovelhead thread. oh and the "skinny rears" thread. in addition there was a thread on here called "swingarm chops" or something to that effect. check em all out - some amazing talent here and the pics speak for themselves. should be something amongst all those ideas to get you in a direction. i just chopped my struts and fender on my shovel after i destroyed the fender by accident. dont limit things to the sporty since the fx / fxe have similar rear setups.
- jason

·
Registered
697 Posts
if you check out the mai page there is a sticky for "our picture threads". check out both sportster threads and the shovelhead thread. oh and the "skinny rears" thread. in addition there was a thread on here called "swingarm chops" or something to that effect. check em all out - some amazing talent here and the pics speak for themselves. should be something amongst all those ideas to get you in a direction. i just chopped my struts and fender on my shovel after i destroyed the fender by accident. dont limit things to the sporty since the fx / fxe have similar rear setups.
- jason

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I extended the sides, with some sheet metal, redrilled the strut bolt holes, and installed the fender. I could set it even lower, but I try to keep the pipes off the asphalt in a tight turn. i think I added 2 inches from the original mount holes, to the new ones.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, mine's not an Ironhead but it is lowered with 10.5" shocks and no modifications to the fender or struts. These really short shocks have very limited travel so the tire whacking into the fender isn't really a problem, the shocks bottom out first! Not not much more comfortable than struts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Swingarm mounted fender:

This looks great! In my opinion, only the "original" style Ironhead Sportster frames work with the fender mounted on the swingarm. Later frames just don't have the "flow" with the fender mounted on the swingarm.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In my opinion, only the "original" style Ironhead Sportster frames work with the fender mounted on the swingarm. Later frames just don't have the "flow" with the fender mounted on the swingarm.
And I thought it was just me. The '79-'81 and '82-'03 frames have the shock mounts too far rearward. They look out of proportion with a swing arm mounted fender.

Bob

·
Banned
980 Posts
I'd like to bring this thread up again for 2 reasons.
1. thats the best fucken Sporty swingarm ever.
2. I'm having trouble with my triumph breaking somethin in the arse end every second 200 km ride. I have the strut mounted at the bottom in 2 places (2 bolts), the bottom shocker bolt and another next to it through the swingarm. When i push down on the seat the rear fender goes forward (obviously)
Should I have some sort of pivot washer setup for the arse end to work properly? And perhaps just have a one bolt mount at the bottom instead of two so it can all pivot instead of push? If you can dig what I'm saying.
It could just be me but if you wanna ride the miles, these setups have to be designed properly otherwise.....?????
Anybody? No bar hoppers please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts