Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever change an early 70's Sportster from right side to left side shift without using funky linkage. Will a later model 4 speed bolt in? As long as I'm asking, how about adapting a 5 speed.

Just daydreaming a little.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Larry T said:
Anyone ever change an early 70's Sportster from right side to left side shift without using funky linkage. Will a later model 4 speed bolt in? As long as I'm asking, how about adapting a 5 speed.

Just daydreaming a little.
I cant remember who does it round here, but they go through the case to do it.

Hell, if ya keep it right side you can use a jockey or suicide shifter arm (I know, it not really either) and still keep the cluctch lever on the bars. Wont win any races, but I think they look cool.

Jamie

·
Registered
726 Posts
Why would you want to change it? Old dudes love to tell me my bike is right side shift.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Polock Joe said:
Why would you want to change it? Old dudes love to tell me my bike is right side shift.
Hey Polock Joe, you know those old ironheads were right foot shift.

that was pretty sweet to tell you.

keep it right side and tell all your buddies who have never had one that it is crazy hard to ride. You wont have anyone asking to ride it AND get some free respect at the same time.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polock Joe said:
Why would you want to change it?
I guess cuzz I've been riding bikes with left foot shift since 1969 and I must have missed the page in the rule book that says you have to keep things the way they came. LOL
I've got a Ironhead stroker in the back of the shop that needs a tranny anyway and was just thinking out loud. I've got more stuff to finish than I've got time, but it passes the time to day dream a little.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Larry T said:
I guess cuzz I've been riding bikes with left foot shift since 1969 and I must have missed the page in the rule book that says you have to keep things the way they came. LOL
I've got a Ironhead stroker in the back of the shop that needs a tranny anyway and was just thinking out loud. I've got more stuff to finish than I've got time, but it passes the time to day dream a little.
Well if you do it take some pictures.....

and send me that stroker flywheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts