Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a sweet little 69 Sporty according to the title.
Serial numbers match engine to title BUT serial number is on right and appears to be for a 70.
3A21859H0

Any chance a 69 got stamped this way? I want this bad but not if its going to be a hassle down the line. Frame has no numbers but heavily modified. I want the engine but only if a true 69.

Some of you guys sharper than me will know this instantly.,,....thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
humm if it were a 69 engine it should be 69XLH on the left case below the timing plug But in 70 they were on the right case an being a 3A first number its a XLH the last two numbers being what they are would indicate 70,,, the H being Harley an the 0 being the year 69 would not have a frame number but in 70 the frame would have a number that was when they changed things Hope this helps its the best i can remember!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup numbers are on right side and match CA title which says 1969 not 1970.
Thinking someone worked some magic over the years to make this something its not.

Really pisses me off too as its exactly what I wanted but I DO NOT want title hassles. As I say title is clear and good but nothing says 69 except the title.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yep, 1970 motor, probly Blu taged frame.

.......Roach.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Back in the day, a lot of times and places bikes were titled in the year they were sold, rather than the actual model year. For instance, I have an early '57 Triumph titled as a '56. (Although it was more common to see a bike that sat on the showroom floor for a long time titled a year or two later that the actual model year.) It could be a '70, sold in calandar year 1969 and titled as such. I would think a '70 would have rolled out of the factory with a matching frame number. Is there one? The DMV in most places was aware of this and will issue a corrected title if you show them the proper documentation.

Upon reflection, there's a small flaw in this theory. Your serial number seems like a fairly high number and an early '70 might have had a lower serial number.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah, still would have a frame number that would match to motor, Fishy buisness here RUN!!!!!!!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

...........Roach.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
in California the frame determines the year of the bike, so if your frame is a non-numbered 1969 and the motor was replaced with a 1970 motor it technically is still a 1969, as long as the registration has that engine number on it says it's a 1969 i think you're still ok without any frame numbers.

I've got a 69 Sporty in the shop with a 71 motor that I'm having CHP do a VIN inspection on it next week, I'll let you know what happens with that one but I'm thinking it will end up being a blue tagged 71 sporty.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
When did they change the law on that??? Last time I was there the chippys would need to blue tag the frame.....

(No numbers = Blu tag)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
A blue tag is an "Assigned VIN number" and that was the way it used to be until it was proven the DMV rule states the engine numbers are the VIN numbers on Harleys built before 1970.
so no more drilling holes in old Harley frames anymore.
As per DMV rules all HD's from 1970 and up use the frame number as the VIN number so only a 1970 and above HD with no frame numbers needs an assigned VIN number.
It pisses DMV off but it is the law.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will love this....I e-mailed the guy that had posted this for sale (though he was not the owner) about this serial number and title issue. His reply:
"Well that's nice to know. Thanks for taking the time to view it. "

doesn't sound to me like it was much of a surprise.......so I am on to the next one and if anyone has a running 69 or older Sporty in NorCal that wants to unload it whip it on me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts