Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Bobber

Votes: 16 36.4%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting ready to finally fire up the 71 ironhead sportster winter build.

Bike is a kick only 71 ironhead that is trashed and in need of complete overhaul, just trying to decide what direction to take so i did up 2 marker renderings of options to settle it but love both can't really pick one over the other so i thought i'd ask here. I already started gathering parts like the wassell tank and metal stock.

Option 1: more of a sleek speedster design 19" front 18" rear firestones fore and aft custom frame and girder, vented drums lots of stainless and painted parts. possibly change to a dual amal setup

Option 2: straight bobber style 19" front 18" rear firestones fore and aft custom frame covered triumph/bsa front end. Ribbed drums, stainless, chrome and paint.

Forgive the shitty pictures they're cell pics the renderings are too large to scan and the tire diameters look off because of the angle i took the photos at. Any thoughts/insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Both look good but I like the top one best. It has great lines, personally I'd shorten up the rear half of the frame. Either way, it has a very classy and timeless look. You might want to repost this with a poll. You might be able to add a poll to this one. Looking forward to a build thread for either style. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both look good but I like the top one best. It has great lines, personally I'd shorten up the rear half of the frame. Either way, it has a very classy and timeless look. You might want to repost this with a poll. You might be able to add a poll to this one. Looking forward to a build thread for either style. Good luck.
Poll Added

might have drawn it a bit long, didn't have an underlay to work off of. Rear will have some stretch just to keep backbone inline with the hardtail.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the top one, but I'm biased...all my bikes have drag bars and I hate bitch bars of any height.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My general impression of the design of both bikes, is that they're very front heavy.

I would either shorten the rear, or (preferably), give the frame a bit of forward stretch. There's a ton of emptiness behind the engine, and the front half is "squashed" looking. If you want more of a bobber, then I'd shorten the rear. If you want "sleek", consider goose necking the frame.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
+2 on the gooseneck or alittle more distance to the neck. Great renderings but its looks like 18 front 19 rear in the renderings . I dig the low drag bars looks wise and for riding on a low bike that is under stock in the front I would rather be leaning forward than sitting erect on that type of bike with mids. I say picture #2 would be a cramped uncomfortable ride from my experience.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far, both of these are just concepts to guide me in the build, they're not 100% dimensionally accurate blueprints. The rear will probably be shorter as i stated before but i've always liked a front heavy look like a lot of triumphs have with a stretched hardtail.

Loffer, trying to keep the stock neck since in 71 it's titled on the frame and not the engine so goosenecking it is probably out of the question.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just build it. YOU will love either one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts