Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
StraightPipez said:
Anyone know what year range the factory produced 13 spoke gold mags for Sportsters?
The only factory gold spoke mag wheels I can remember on the Sportys were the 1988 85th Anniversary ones, and those weren't 13 spoke, they were 9 spoke. The 85th Anniversary baggers were gold, but they were 10 spoke. The only OEM 13 spoke gold wheels I remember were on the '78 ElectraGlide Classic.

Harley did away with the 13 spoke 16" mag wheels after the 1986 model run. MotorWheel&Rim quit making them, and they were cast in Austraila, and machined here after that. They went to another manufacturer after that in the mid-90's (Winters foundry, I think), and the spokes went to 12.

The big twins were the only one's that got 13 spoke mag wheels, and the late '70's Low Riders got a 13 spoke mag wheel on the back only, but it was black/polished highlights. In '79 they got 9 spokes on the Low Riders front/back.

Sportys always had 9 spoke mag wheels '79-up for 16"/19" wheels, except for the XLCR that had 7 spoke Morris mags 18"/19", and the '78 Sporty with the 18" Morris mag on the back as an option vs. the 16" wire - all black/polished highlights.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
the only gold wheels i remember were on dynas(which is actually the same wheel as sportsters)

it was called a DAYTONA and i think the letters were fxdb like the old double belt sturgis models.

maybe they used them on sportsers but i dont remember that...it was like the anniversary they celebrated before the 95th i think

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.