Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

My Sportster 1200 has a point of no more return, I still have throttle left but it won't go any faster. Customs don't have tachs so I don't know what RPM the limiter kicks in... ;)

Anyway, who has the best ignition setup for an evo Sportster?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
El Caballo said:

My Sportster 1200 has a point of no more return, I still have throttle left but it won't go any faster. Customs don't have tachs so I don't know what RPM the limiter kicks in... ;)

If you just want to raise the rpm limit you can go with a Screaming Eagle module from your local "factory outlet" (probably Tripps in Amarillo). The 1200 Sportster and the Screaming Eagle module have the same ignition curve, just different rev limits. If your looking for something you can change the curve on and adjust the rev limit, Dyna or Crane make pretty good modules. Believe it or not, the genuine Harley Screaming Eagle module is probably the cheapest way to go.

How's Borger? Anything to do besides set and watch the grass wilt?
Larry T

·
Registered
135 Posts
The screamin eagle stuff is ok,but if you plan on future upgrades..compression, headwork etc,your better off going aftermarket with an adjustable advance curve and rev limiter.I would recommend a daytona twin tech as my first choice.We have done testing back to back and picked up power with an adjustible ignition over a fixed curve unit.Hope this helps.
El Caballo said:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
El Caballo said:

I did some checking and the rev limiter in the 1200 Sportster modules is set at 6500 (at least on the older ones), so I don't think that's what the problem is. You might look at your pipes, air cleaner, jetting, and timing before you buy a new module.
Larry T

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Larry, if you had ever been to Borger I think you would already know the answer to that question. I used to think San Angelo was bad. I'm just glad that I am upwind of any possible H2S leaks.

My Sporty is a 1999.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Larry T said:
I did some checking and the rev limiter in the 1200 Sportster modules is set at 6500 (at least on the older ones), so I don't think that's what the problem is. You might look at your pipes, air cleaner, jetting, and timing before you buy a new module.
Larry T
I think the stock rev limiter is set much lower than that somthing like 5500-5700, the screaming eagle is at 8000 but you would lose power by 7200 on a stock bike. if its your ignition module, you would get a definate feeling of "loss of power" as the IM severly retards your timing to a point your bike will almost cut out. if it is a jetting issue, as in your main isnt big enough, you will throttle to a point and your just aint picking up the revs. Just remember if you have increased the air flow(intake or exhaust) you need to rejet your carbs. If you go with a aftermarket IM I would stay away from a cone type. other than a show bike they get too hot and burn up.
Fastsporty

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ohh, I'd lay odds that it's the ign mod.
The rev limit is easy to hit when you are in it full-ass. I speak from experience. I tried to race my brother once and he got the jump on me. I let it rap up (my bike has a tach) and as soon as it hit the rev limit it just sat there and cut out ( felt/sounded like running out of gas ).

I bought the Screaming Eagle kit, problem solved...

There is a catch or two.
First hop up part leads to another little tweek, then another, and you keep telling yourself you aren't going to do any more - but your bike getting quicker and faster and the next thing you know you've gone farther than you'd planned and some of those initial "little" changes can't support the next level of performance (i.e. cams or valve work or whatever).

Just something to think about. The S.E. ign. mod. is a good purchase though and will take you through most major performance mods - but it's not the only option. I'd do my homework first and figure out what you really need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts