Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Trying to find out what year Sporty fork stops change ? any chance 68-78 are the same ?
I'm going to try to think like Harley to make an educated guess. '57-'72 should be the same. The fork changed in 1973. Now, if you're using a new fork, what would you do about the fork stops? Modify the patterns and change the neck casting, or make the fork stops on the new fork compatible with the existing stops on the neck casting. I know what I would have done, but I ain't Harley and could be wrong.

Bob

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Even if the stops on the '81 lower tree are different from the '70, it wouldn't be hard to modify it. The lower tree is a steel forging and welding new stop ears on it would be no problem at all.

Bob

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if the stops on the '81 lower tree are different from the '70, it wouldn't be hard to modify it. The lower tree is a steel forging and welding new stop ears on it would be no problem at all.

Bob
Rather avoid all that ,,and just get the right part,,guess I'll keep looking

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wait, I'm not saying the stops are different on the '81 lower tree. Just saying that they can be easily modified. If I had to guess, I'd say they have the same stops as a '70 lower tree.

Bob

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Wait, I'm not saying the stops are different on the '81 lower tree. Just saying that they can be easily modified. If I had to guess, I'd say they have the same stops as a '70 lower tree.

Bob
No, they don't. Don't know when the changes were made, but I have ran late model FE's on early frames, and they don't hit the frame correctly. I may be wrong, but the earlier FE's had changes too, in the fork stop area. Can't use the lower tree with the later tubes either, difference in the diameter of the tubes. 35 versus 33.4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.