Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the Sportster Softail streetfighter/chopper/bobber/motorcycle I'm building. When I posted photos of this thing at an earlier stage of its development, Alteredpilot volunteered to give me a sweet deal on paint. I'm meeting Pilot Mitch in Hawthorne, CA, this Thursday to turn over my tins so he can work his magic. When he's finished I'll post photos and anyone who wants his help can PM Alteredpilot on this site. Wheel Works in Garden Grove trued my wheels after I laced them with cheap eBay spokes. Those rims are orange anodized after sandblasting to give them an appropriately rough and dirty look. Most of the silver alloy bits (clip-ons, hubs, triple trees) are raw alloy after sanblasting. What can I say: I love patina. Tires front/rear are the same size: 140/70-18 Cheng Shins. Because I live in SoCal, I don't expect them to get too greasy in the slick stuff. Tomorrow it's off to Billdozer's for some light MIG welding...

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks for letting me give props to everyone whose helping me get this thing on the road

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
the bike looks cool, though I've never really gotten used to the look of the seat in the air on the rear. There's just something about that that looks odd. See on street fighters you'd have a small cafetype or seat plastic then the exhaust right under your ass. Seat positioned that way just remind me why i don't like the softail frame. Like on the american choppers show most of their bikes have that look on there seat. but if that what you like it's just my opinion.
maybe if you ran the exhaust through the "tail" would make it more different and cool?
check this one out
http://sparetime.jp/photo/051204/62.jpg

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks good. I agree about the seat...that was the first thing that I noticed....very stock softail (What is it a LePera Bare Bones?). I would go with something small and sportier if it was mine. and since you are goign for the streetfighter look I would throw some pipes that were mounted high with a big ass can on them...maybe even a two into one that exits like a sportbike on the side. I love the aggresive stance but the seat needs to be changed! Just my thoughts...you asked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really don't like criticizing someone else's personal taste, but oh well, you asked....

I really dig the concept, and the bike looks pretty bitchin overall, but a couple of things bother me a little.... the Cole Foster tank was a good pic, but seems a little small, or not forward enough on the bike. 2 inches would help for me since I visually am trying to line it up ahead a little of the motor, for more of a visual transition (wow, I sound like a bike fashion designer...). I am sure you placed it where you did though for a good reason.

The seat does seem a little 'big', but it must be comfy at least. Not sure if you are willing to experiment with that or not, but I would check out the Hellcat from Confederate. Very similar concept to your bike (american muscle meets techno cafe racer) but with a cool stripped down tractor type seat in a higher position like yours.

You are definitely on the right track though man, looks good.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockymtnpits said:
Bitchin bike, except for that seat!

Is that going to be on the El Diablo?
Yeah, I hate the seat too. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about it. I hate the look of a rigidly-mounted rear fender even more. I've seen a rear fender mounted tight and swinging in unison on a WCC bike and it looked good, but I don't recall the seat. I have a heavily padded West Eagle tractor seat on my rigid springer, but it doesn't kick up enough on the back to hold my fat ass in place under heavy acceleration. Hence the kooky saddle on this build. Did I say saddle? Sorry, my bicycle roots are showing again.

Yes, I'll be taking this bike on the El Diablo run. suspension, a more heavily padded seat and fenders front/rear spell COMFORT and GOOD TIMES on long, short hauls. I took my springer on the dry run last September and it whipped my ass. I'm used to riding bicycles for 90 minutes 4 times per week. Riding a motorcycle for eight hours places unheard of demands on my delicate nether regions (Wouldn't want to damage the folds of my vagina, now would I?)

thanks for weighing in. If I was a better man I'd try running pipes out the back of my seat for the Ducati look. Maybe next year's garage-built eBay special...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
squirelmurphy said:
Mitch is a good dude. Post pics of it painted.
Hey Squirrel, thanks for the vote of confidence on Mitch the Painter. None necessary, however, I've not met Mitch yet, but he's been super-cool on the phone and I can't wait to see what crazy shit he's dreamed up for my paint job. In terms of paint, I think I'm a dream customer. I don't really give a shit what he does as long as it doesn't involve skulls, crossbones, iron crosses, ghost flames, unicorns, pirate ships, dancing monkeys, cigar-puffing woodpeckers, celtic insignias or Japanese anime.

On second thought, a well-drawn dancing monkey might look cool. But he better be wearing leiderhosen...

If you're reading this Alteredpilot, see you tomorrow...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm thinking a leiderhosen clad dancing monkey tattooed with cigar smoking woodpeckers and celtic insignias that is sitting on the face of a ghost flamed and iron crossed unicorn doing the Lipizzan Stallion jig on the prow of a pirate ship might just do it for me, even with that ATM seat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
halwade said:
I don't really give a shit what he does as long as it doesn't involve skulls, crossbones, iron crosses, ghost flames, unicorns, pirate ships, dancing monkeys, cigar-puffing woodpeckers, celtic insignias or Japanese anime.

If you're reading this Alteredpilot, see you tomorrow...
DAMMIT!!!!

back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Let us also not forget to have the red wheels black primer some where on the bike and the pic of the stallion must have a Leprachon with a "ride to live live to ride t-shirt on" leading it up a hill to meet the toppless fair maiden who awaits to be rescued.Also a tattoo of said bike must be tattooed on the owners neck.:D

Shoe

Crow said:
I'm thinking a leiderhosen clad dancing monkey tattooed with cigar smoking woodpeckers and celtic insignias that is sitting on the face of a ghost flamed and iron crossed unicorn doing the Lipizzan Stallion jig on the prow of a pirate ship might just do it for me, even with that ATM seat.

·
Registered
349 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Let us also not forget to have the red wheels black primer some where on the bike and the pic of the stallion must have a Leprachon with a "ride to live live to ride t-shirt on" leading it up a hill to meet the toppless fair maiden who awaits to be rescued.Also a tattoo of said bike must be tattooed on the owners neck.:D

Shoe
Man I don't know how you guys come up with this shit!!!:D :D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crow said:
Hey crow, I must be lurking in the wrong chat rooms...

where I'm slumming these days, "ATM" stands for "Ass to Mouth." Are you thinking what I'm thinking, or do you think my goofy seat looks like a cash machine? A money pit, maybe, but a cash machine, definitely not. Thanks for chipping in on the running paint joke. I completely forgot about pirate ships!

·
Registered
500 Posts
halwade said:
Hey crow, I must be lurking in the wrong chat rooms...

where I'm slumming these days, "ATM" stands for "Ass to Mouth." Are you thinking what I'm thinking, or do you think my goofy seat looks like a cash machine? A money pit, maybe, but a cash machine, definitely not. Thanks for chipping in on the running paint joke. I completely forgot about pirate ships!
I'm thinking that I'm thinking what you're thinking, I think. I mean, just look how it pokes itself up in the air at ya, taunting, begging...uh...see ya'll later, I gotta go sink a pirate ship.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Halwade bike is looking good. Someone mentioned the Hellcat seat. Something like this carbonfiber seat would look the part on your bike. Looks kinda race and lightweight.

·
Registered
626 Posts
ghost rider to tower...
my frigging fingers are riddled with oozing blisters from blocking these infernal pieces of scrap tin...you owe me.

but damn, they sure so look nice....

pictures of these silky smooth buggers tomorrrow, color and clear monday.
made some design changes. more 'sport bike-road race-made for a run to tijuana" than 1st concept.

billdozer....yours is staying simply elegant.

this is gonna be a tight one captain.

ghost rider out.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alteredpilot said:
ghost rider to tower...
my frigging fingers are riddled with oozing blisters from blocking these infernal pieces of scrap tin...you owe me.

but damn, they sure so look nice....

pictures of these silky smooth buggers tomorrrow, color and clear monday.
made some design changes. more 'sport bike-road race-made for a run to tijuana" than 1st concept.

this is gonna be a tight one captain.
Hey Mitch,

While you've been sanding your fingers to the bone, I've been groping through the final assembly. Pictures to follow...

For anyone following my Sportfighter build, when he saw my original dry build photos, Jockey Journalist Alteredpilot (Mitch Maciel of Hawthorne, CA) told me he wanted to paint my tins. Mitch is really talented, and the speed at which he has been working has been literally blistering (see quote above.) I can't wait to see Mitch's magic. To show our appreciation, Billdozer and I offered up our talents to design and print a business card for Mitch's paint business, MAS Line Design. If you're looking for a painter who gets it, PM Alteredpilot. I can vouch for Mitch's work and I haven't even seen my tins. When I pick them up next week I'll post photos.

And to Mitch, thanks for kicking ass. I DO owe you one!

Regarding "my scrap tin," Mitch is right: you get what you pay for when you buy ribbed fenders off eBay for $99 that were mad East India. Sorry about cheaping out on you, Mitch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts