Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a motor pretty complete minus a carb and pushrods. Curious as to if there is anything that someone might have to comment on about the numbers.

Has a strange VIN that says MICH 7#### stamped on the cases which I am having checked. The heads say 17512-57 on the rocker covers.

Behind the primary chain has 34-67 with a circled G .

Trans has 34845-54 A.

REar jug has H and 7.5 and an MC symbol in a shield. Front jug has 16-561-57on it.

I forgot the number under the primary cover but the last numbers were 71.

The engine has external points which i read was in 1970 only.

Any thoughts are appreciated, Bill

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Well, first the numbers. Either you can't read, or they are completely suspect. Pre 70 motors, had either XL,XLH or XLCH and the sn. 70 and up, had vin numbers, with more numbers. 70 motor, had a breaker(distributor to some, even if it is not) that was mounted on the top of the cam cover. The 71, had the points inside the side of the cam cover. As did all the ones after 71. Some 70 and back, have magnetos. Maybe the MICH, is XLCH? Sounds like a mismatched motor. 71 on primary cover, which is the wet clutch cover style, and 57 on the front cyl, which is the earlier 900. So if your points are on the side of the cam cover, and your clutch cable threads into the primary cover, you probably have a 71. The bastard year, along with 72 and early 73. The 71, was a 900, but appears to be a 1000, with the points on the side and the clutch cable going into the primary side. The 70, had a dry clutch, and the cable goes in, under the cam cover, and the kicker cover, has a adjustment nut for the clutch adjustment. The wet clutch, is a open clutch, the oil runs in on the plates. The dry clutch, has a dome cover, that enclosed the clutch, to keep the inside dry. 71 has a vin, and is on the rh side by the pushrods. 69 and back, are on the lh side, under the timing plug, between the cylinders. The 69 and back numbers would be like this. 69XLCH9999. 70 and up were mass confusion, with numbers, letters, more numbers, more letters, etc. Damn, that was a history lesson.

·
Registered
427 Posts
huh... my last project (the bike i ride now) is a 70 xlh with dry clutch, crazy numbers on right, and the points are in the side of the cover. those covers interchangeable?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shovit covered most of it, but it may be a Michigan builder's title/salvage title/homebuilt restamp deal. That's suggested by the mish-mash of different years' parts you describe. You definitely have a variety of Sportster parts assembled together. Photos would help to sort it out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
its an assembled michigan vin, all assembleds here start with michxxxxxxx. alot of motors got restamped next to the vin as they didnt have sticker back in the day.sounds like a 900 motor and that would make sense if it was assembled a long time ago as they didnt care about the frame provided you had proof of where it came from. if you dont have a title you can get one here for that vin for like 24.00.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
What do the belly numbers say? That will at least tell you when the cases were made and if they match.
The Mich number is a state assigned number. Makes the cases worth little to nothing. As far as the other numbers you mention most are casting numbers and don't mean squat! Most were used for long periods of manufacture so can be on any engines over a decade or more.
The date code inside the cases is the most accurate single number. But it won't fix the VIN!!
Robbie

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I live just across the state line and have seen several Michigan self assembled bikes stamped like that. For some reason both the frame and the engine got stamped with the state assigned VIN, so there may be a whole bike out there registered to that number that's had the engine changed out. Or just a frame somewhere. Or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they did both in some places, just the frame in others. Or one way at some point in time and a different way later.

Find out where in your area they do the inspections and the assignment of numbers, and talk to the people there. Tell 'em you're looking at a motor like that and wondering if you should buy it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The whole story here is I picked up a Panhead motor with little internals, this Sportster motor, another old sporter motor shell, and a trans with no gears but a kicker and the top section which looks like it would have been a suicide setup maybe.
All this stuff was at a local screw machine business that sold chrome nuts and all this stuff was used as a display except the sporty in question here. The business went out of business a decade or so ago and these were not displayed for quite a bit erlier than that.
I have contacted the police on this one because I want to sell it and need to know all is OK. I have to call them today to see what they found.

The cases #s are ground off. When I get everything squared away hopefully, I will sell it with whatever is nescessary(if anyone will want it) and even the police depts # and the officer I talked to.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: sportster numbers ?

Well the number was checked by the county sheriff and then he had the state police check their database and everything was clear.

The motor seems pretty decent and if anyone gives a rats I would send a pic to someone to post for me,

Thanks for all the thoughts so far, Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts