Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've got this spool hub that I was going use in combination with a 21" HD rim. The spoke holes are 'in line', i.e. if you look though a hole on one side of the hub, you can see straight through the corresponding hole on the opposite side.

I was going to use only one length of spokes and in order to do so, someone told me that the hole pattern should be 'rotated' in order to fit!
Is this true of false?

Thanks
-Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Knukkel said:
Well, I've got this spool hub that I was going use in combination with a 21" HD rim. The spoke holes are 'in line', i.e. if you look though a hole on one side of the hub, you can see straight through the corresponding hole on the opposite side.

I was going to use only one length of spokes and in order to do so, someone told me that the holes pattern should be 'rotated' on order to fit!
Is this true of false?

Thanks
-Marc
Hey Knuk! I just respoked that V-Twin spool wheel yesterday and the only thing I can say is that the holes on these spools are not "in line" and the spokes have all the same lenghts...(except for the fact that half of 'em have longer shoulders of course...duuh!...) So I guess in your case you will need 2 lengths of spokes yes...Poelma Wheel Service or Haan Wheels in Holland can help for sure,no doubts...(did you get a WM0 rim by now?...)

·
Registered
554 Posts
There's somebody in Germany who also made my one-off spokes for my spool hub wheel.Very reasonable priced.Mild steel,stainless steel,everything's available.Don't know if you have problems to get them in the Netherlands so I just wanted to let you know.I can dig out the address if you want me to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Knukkel said:

I was going to use only one length of spokes and in order to do so, someone told me that the holes pattern should be 'rotated' on order to fit!
Is this true of false?

Thanks
-Marc
Marc...straight lace it

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Danny F. said:
Hey Knuk! I just respoked that V-Twin spool wheel yesterday and the only thing I can say is that the holes on these spools are not "in line" and the spokes have all the same lenghts...(except for the fact that half of 'em have longer shoulders of course...duuh!...) So I guess in your case you will need 2 lengths of spokes yes...Poelma Wheel Service or Haan Wheels in Holland can help for sure,no doubts...(did you get a WM0 rim by now?...)
Hey Danny, I thought you were in France? Maurice and I just came back from the meeting in Lommel. The number of nice HD chops was disappointingly low...

Anyway, thanks fo the info! So it's true and I either need 2 different spoke lenghts or a new hub... I'll go to "Haan" and see what's possible.

Frenz: No need to go to Germany, but thanks for the offer!

-Marc

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Knukkel said:
Hey Danny, I thought you were in France? Maurice and I just came back from the meeting in Lommel. The number of nice HD chops was disappointingly low...

Anyway, thanks fo the info! So it's true and I either need 2 different spoke lenghts or a new hub... I'll go to "Haan" and see what's possible.

Frenz: No need to got to Germany, but thanks for the offer!

-Marc
Yep, I was in France for a day, (enough for me...:( ) came back this mornin', Lommel didn't happened...If you call Haan Wheels, try to talk to his son...the ol'man is helpfull but in my oppinion not open minded enough for "spool wheels"...got my point..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Frenz... Do you have TUV on your bike already... I'm just curious... Sorry to hijack.
I NEVER will have TÜV on my bike as it's street-illegal...I know what you think now.

I simply had to satisfy my desire for a Hardcore Chopper and gave a shit about any laws and rules.I just wanted to realize the vision I had in mind.No compromises and pure dedication...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Ant said:
I had straight lacing on a bicycle once. Took a lot of maintenence to keep the thing tight and true
Yea, and a front brake on a 21" straight laced wheel...keep your video handy..!! Then you will be a winner on "America's funniest" !

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
TheFrenZ said:
I NEVER will have TÜV on my bike as it's street-illegal...I know what you think now.

I simply had to satisfy my desire for a Hardcore Chopper and gave a shit about any laws and rules.I just wanted to realize the vision I had in mind.No compromises and pure dedication...
Yes Frenz; know what ya mean...here my Belgium license plate on my HotRod trike...says enough huh?...ha!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
TheFrenZ said:
Yes,it says enough ! So how do you manage to get some miles on it ?
The "Not Legal" part of it here in Belgium is just because I got no fenders...it's registered as a '47 Servi-Car (!), we don't have any TUV overhere, and everything before '72 is kinda free as it comes to customising.. but ussualy the cops don't know shit anyhow...and as long as we got insurance they can't impount your vehicle...:D (for now that is...they are thinking about some sort of technical check-up on a yearly base...but if it's done by the Belgian typical way then it will take yeeeaars before they are ready with such a proposition! Altough, if you are building a newly constructed from the ground-up chopper now (or whatever custom bike) you need paperwork from a certified frame company and you will have to pass an inspection in Brussels..no big deal because I know guys who showed their bike overthere in not running condition...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Please excuse the question...

But what the hell is TUV?

Is it like DOT in the US???

I've seen it a million times in the Drag and CC catalogs and just figured it was some weird Euro safety commision thing...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Danny,that sounds VERY interesting.You will hear from me soon by e-mail.Got some questions for you...

Ryno,TÜV is the abbreviation of "Technischer Überwachungs-Verein" and yes,equivalent to the DOT and it sucks.I really envy people in Sweden, just look at the bikes there.Don't know how things are exactly in California.I know you got some sick rules too but judging by the bikes/cars it seems some people don't take them too serious...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Danny F. said:
Yea, and a front brake on a 21" straight laced wheel...keep your video handy..!! Then you will be a winner on "America's funniest" !
youre absolutely right...show ...not to go

·
Registered
554 Posts
You can NOT bolt on any type of brake to spool hubs and that's why the wheel also could be straight laced or do I miss the point here ? Knukkel's hub is no exception as evident by the pic.Beside the conventional/traditional laced wheel on my Pan I also have another straight laced one but itr eally looks too 70's...and there are also still other options to lace the wheel...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
TheFrenZ said:
You can NOT bolt on any type of brake to spool hubs and that's why the wheel also could be straight laced or do I miss the point here ? Knukkel's hub is no exception as evident by the pic.Beside the conventional/traditional laced wheel on my Pan I also have another straight laced one but itr eally looks too 70's...and there are also still other options to lace the wheel...
Frenz, a straight laced wheel, and especially in the large 21" size is very vulnerable for the forward stoppin force...because the straight laced spoked don't give the wheel enough strengt in all the directions...(Notice in Swedish custom parts catalogs when you see ads from straight spoked wheels, it always says : "NOT available in 21"..and that's the reason.)

@ JBfrmca: Thanks man !

I remember the only law in California was the height of apehanger bars...the maximum height was "shoulder height" (seated on the bike of course,ha!)
When cops came nearby we used to pull the bar slightly backwards untill it came down close to shoulder height...:D

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
TheFrenZ said:
Frenz,here 80 spokes (21") around a classic hub...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.