Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a shovel but a good friend of mine does and we've been kickin' around the idea of pulling them off and going to town. Can someone start a tech post or point to one. I don't know if it makes a difference, but he has a late model shovel with heads modified for two plugs each. Splitting the boxes would make it much easier to get to his plugs.

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
360 Posts
The horse mag did a tech a year or two ago. Let me dig out the issue number. My shovel has splits. I didn't do them but it looks like cake. Tom in DC has them split also maybe he did his?. His ride looks killer, split rocker boxes/ copper lines, very clean bike!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Tom's bike is the first one I think of when I think of split rocker boxes! That bike is nice! I think I do have that issue of the Horse. Let me know what issue it is and I'll dig it up. Seems pretty easy and definitely looks nice when it's done.
Built2Ride said:
The horse mag did a tech a year or two ago. Let me dig out the issue number. My shovel has splits. I didn't do them but it looks like cake. Tom in DC has them split also maybe he did his?. His ride looks killer, split rocker boxes/ copper lines, very clean bike!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did a pair for "Tony Bones". I really recommend leaving the center mounting boss intact if you want to eliminate leaks, though it will be a little harder tigging up the oilway in that 5/8-3/4" gap. It helps to have a Mill but it can be done with a saw.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Built2Ride said:
George at Spartan did them, I will look through my old mags for that article as well. I think Weyland has the split and the shaping down to a T if i recall from an older post.

Bueller? Bueller?....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of... Puting Jim's conversion kit aside for a minute, I assume that there is an oil galley that will need to be plug once the rocker boxes are cut in two? Excuse my ignorance. If so, then tig it shut? I see Tom tapped in through the bottom and over to the other side. I've also seen lines go through the end bolts/nuts with t-fittings. Any pics and/or explanations of this?
Dragon said:

Weyland's the man for the job ..

& I'll bet shortly Englishman will show up with some pix of his set-up ..

is especially clean because he's using the Jim's conversion lifter kits that oil up thru the pushrods, I think, so there's No external oil lines to run ..

D ..

·
Registered
165 Posts
tom said:
c'mon Weyland, dont be bashful! here is your work that I was looking for:

I know there are completed pics of this motor & bike somewhere but cant find them...
Hahaha.
Like that one, do ya? :)
That's from the DarkHorse.
It's in this month's The Horse.
There's a shitload of pics of it in the gallery.
Just look for "DarkHorse".

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and links. The difference between split and non-split rockers is pretty obvious.

Weyland, your website is awesome! You do some nice work.

Englishman, thanks for posting those links. I'm learning a lot today.

So.... is there any functional advantage to splitting the rockers or is it purely a cosmetic thing? A circumcision of the rockers if you will.

Ed

·
Registered
866 Posts
so an ironhead would be done the same way as a shovel?? what about the oil lines, does a "kit" exist to get rid of the external lines like you can do for the shovel??

those brass nuts look awesome, I've seen 'em in catalogs but they are like $80, dones anyone offer them cheaper??

cool thread, I like tech...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dan said:
so an ironhead would be done the same way as a shovel?? what about the oil lines, does a "kit" exist to get rid of the external lines like you can do for the shovel??
Yes..., and no.
You *can* simply split Ironhead rockers, but they tend to look very
lopsided that way because they aren't cast symetrically, like BigTwin ones.
Look in my gallery for options on Ironhead rockers.
Not looking to make money off you. I show how to do it, step by step.

those brass nuts look awesome, I've seen 'em in catalogs but they are like $80, dones anyone offer them cheaper?? cool thread, I like tech...
Well, are you active military? Veteran?
I'm a vet, and offer vet discounts.
What do you do? I'm a huge fan of barter, too.
Shoot me an email, and we'll see what we cvan work out.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
165 Posts
richard cranium said:
Weyland, your website is awesome! You do some nice work.
Thanks for the kind words.

So.... is there any functional advantage to splitting the rockers or is it purely a cosmetic thing? A circumcision of the rockers if you will.
Yep. Purely cosmetic. Aside from that weight reduction thing...

Best,

Weyland

1 - 20 of 34 Posts