Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, Been lurking around here for awhile with a few posts and thought it was time to share my current project. I'm just about ready to do the finish welding on her and send it out for powdercoat so I won't bore you with an entire build thread. I'll post some pics of it up to where it is now and then I'll post up the finished stuff hopefully very soon.

So the bike is a 1971 OIF T120R with a 1968 T120 650 engine that I picked up from a guy who had trouble getting it started. Brought it home, inspected everything and discovered the contact points wires were reversed causing it to fire out of time. Fixed that and it fired right up and ran like a champ, which meant it was ready to transform this bike into a bobber.
<o></o>
I ordered a David Bird 4" stretch and 2.5" drop looped hardtail from Low Brow. Cut the rear subframe off. I left 1" of the top subframe sticking out off the main backbone to use as slugs for the top of the hardtail. I then had to heat and bend the hardtail top frame rails in to meet the old frame slugs and cut and coped them to match the backbone. There is just as much surface area to weld when coped properly as there is on the stock Bird hardtail. Plus the old frame slugs ensure added support.
<o></o>
I also modified the lower frame and crossmember cut from Bird's instructions. By making an "L" shaped cut thru the frame and out the back of the crossmember and then notching out the vertical frame tube just below the engine/footpeg mounts I was able to insert the hardtail into place leaving the original engine/footpeg mounts.<o></o>

Next came the seat, seat mounts, handlebars and risers, brass kickpedal, Factory Metal high side exhaust, Pazon Ignition, Podtronics, dual lead single ignition coil and YTX4B battery. I'm in the process of fabricating the battery box now.
<o></o>
The rear fender is the original fender. I wanted a ribbed fender to match the look of the gas tank. So I welded a piece of roundbar down the center of the fender and radiused it in with weld. It'll need a little filler before painting but I'm very happy with how it turned out. It also had a 6" long 1/4" wide hole in the side I had to patch along with the dozen or so mounting holes. The fender is mounted with struts I made that are very similar to the Angry Monkey ones. I made the license plate bracket as well with "speed holes" to match the fender struts.
<o></o>
That's about it for now. I still need to lower the front forks and install the Progressive springs and of course chrome, powdercoat and paint. Sorry for such a long post.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good words guys. I really tried to keep it as clean as possible and reuse as much original parts as I could. The seat is mounted with a Biltwell Macho ***** mount. I originally was going to weld it to the oil fill neck but decided my fatass would distort it and then the cap would never fit on correctly. So instead I coped it out to the diameter of the backbone and welded it just below the oil fill neck leaving just enough room to pivot the seat up if I ever needed.

I forgot to mention I used 3" coil springs. I tried 2" torsion springs (which are actually 3" tall, the damn coil is 2") and they just locked up like solid struts so I swaped them out for 3" coils. 2" coils would have been too short once you have the seat stud and nut in the top, the mounting stud on the bottom and a riders weight on it. The seat stud and the mount stud almost touch on a 2". Just and FYI for you guys trying to decide what to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,456 Posts
Great looking ride, a bit spooky though. My build is a '68 frame and a '71 engine!

Cheers Dan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
That thing is cool.
I have two questions though. What happened to that bike in the first picture? Secondly, the guy could not get it started? It looked like it would start itself if you asked it to.
That thing is cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the guy I bought it from has like 10 bikes in his garage and wrenchs on them all the time, but none of them are british. He bought the triumph and for whatever reason couldn't start it or was just too busy to try. It fired first kick once I flipped the wires around and connected a few other loose wires. It runs great and has great compression. And trust me, half of me wishes I just flipped the bars and installed a cafe seat and left it alone and found another bike to hardtail. If it had been all original I would have left it alone but the engine is not orginal to the frame, even tho the numbers match and it has a clean title too, lol. But it's done now and I'm very happy with the results.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top