Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set my points and timing on my ironhead (77-83) but when I have the bike in gear and try spinning the tire it just drags; nothing else spings except front sprocket..

However, If I use the starter button with it in gear everything spins. If I use the kicker everything also spins.

I'm at a loss. The entire 2 months I've been working on this bike this is the first time it has happened. I'm pretty sure its because I just got her to start cranking a few days ago and I'm doomed to never ride this bike..

Also, the plugs are removed during the process.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Fals N between 3er and 4th, try putting it in gear again, if that dosnt help then yer clutch is not adjusted proper.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ditto the clutch. Most folk don't realise that Sportys are primary kick, meaning the kicker spins the engine direct, not through the clutch.

Cosmo

·
Registered
250 Posts
yup like roach said try spinning the rear tire an pull up on the shift lever it will go into fourth mine does the same thing I use the kicker to turn the engine over works for me

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Thanks guys. Wont be able to really adjust the clutch til I get a new lever, but it shouldnt be a problem doing the timing and points.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Adjusting the clutch is not about the lever. It is about spring tension and free play on the clutch pushrod to allow total engagement. All the lever adjustment is for is the cable free play. You need to learn how it all works or you are right, you'll never ride it!
Robbie

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Allmost, when you try and tighten the adjuster nut, the whole adjuster will move on ya, it is a bitch, takes a couple of time to get it right, the clutch will be good for about a week then you will be doing rolling N, Check out the hydrolick conversion, easy and take the gues work out of it!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
if the plugs aren't out you'll have a hell of a time trying to get it to turn
make sure youre in 4th gear, easier to spin the wheel

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Dont worry, I have Dexlixia and some times do that my self!?:rolleyes:

Cant spell for chit ither...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, I lied. Still slips. Not sure what's up. Worked fine all the other time I did it to set my push rods and such. Only difference is I added Rotella for when she started I'd have fresh fluid in her. Planned on moving to HD 50 when I started riding her. Had the rotella on hand via my sportbikes Guess ill use the kicker to find my timing marks..

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Hmmmm, Methinks you need to pull the clutch to see whats up, it might need replacing, and you need to hold the crank from moving some how to adjust the pushrods, timing not so mutch but it helps.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The push rods I set awhile back, I didnt experience any slippage, wondering if the fresh fluid had something to do with it..
I managed to use the kicker and my girlfriend to find TDC. I 'spose tomorrow I'll finish up and see if she'll start.

First time in a couple of years. This was one of my last things to do to the motor for the dehibernation. Guess I'll pull the primary. Need a new clutch cable anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
How mutch oil did you put in the Primay/trans??? Only takes a quart.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I filled it til it started draining out of the little "full screw" not much went in. May just drain it and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Ah, well that should be the right amount, shouldnt make the clutch slip at that leval, take more to get to the clutch, your going to have to open up the primary.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts