Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the right bunch of axle sleeve spacer poo for this application? And, should the land area bottom out on the flange face; the diametric difference is about .912" on the flange and a 1" slip on the spacer sleeve thing, so the old industry standard .088" interference fit. BFH time.

OK, so maybe I have the wrong axle sleeve..?

Thanks in advance. This is far from over..

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
You have the wrong parts! No sleeve contacts the hub. It bolts to the drum which carries two bearings and only the inner bearing spacer is between the bearing in the hub and the bearings in the drum. The axle sleeve is very short and butts up against the outer edge of the bearing in the drum and passes through the backing plate and spacer. You do have a correct drum for it, right? The wide one with the bearings in it?
Robbie

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Put away the BFH! This is what you need: From left to right, above the axle. Axle nut. Sleeve nut. Chain adjuster spacer. (swingarm goes here) Backing plate spacer. Backing plate. Axle sleeve (this is the one for the mid star.) The two bearings that ride in the hardened sleeve in the drum. Inner bearing spacer (very important.) Right side bearing (this is the one that's in the hub.) Not shown is a right side axle spacer. (other side of swingarm goes here.)

For comparison below are some star hub pieces. The end of that sleeve (the one you have) fits perfectly in the star hub. The top backing plate and drum are for '58-'62. So is the top backing plate to swingarm spacer. The bottom backing plate was used '63-'72. The bottom drum was '63-'66. Both these drums have a sheet metal center shield that the large end of the star hub fits into.

Not shown in these pics are the spacers that go between the hub and swingarm on the right, or the spacers that go between the backing plate and the swingarm on the brake anchor stud.

edit: The axle sleeve shown in the pic below is for the '58-'62 style backing plate. The one for the '63-'66 has a longer fat section, and is shown in the original poster's first pic. Also, there is no spacer on the brake anchor stud for a swingarm. I must have been thinking about the one I needed when I put a juice brake on a Santee hardtail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow, Great. I think this just answered my question from another thread. I'm setting up this drum on a round swingarm. All I have right now is the wheel, drum, and swingarm and will need to set up the whole thing. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for in setting it up as a Juice drum?

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
That is a mechanical brake drum in your picture (stamped steel type), not a juice drum (cast iron)! So you need a whole brake set-up!
( And before anyone gets all wound up, yes I know early '58 used stamped drums. I also know they failed miserably and were replaced as soon as possible with cast drums!)
Robbie

·
Registered
60 Posts
Damn, I just saw the other reply on another thread.

Now I'm lost as to what I want to do. i've got a friend with a huge store of parts, and he's wanting to liquidate. i thought I had a great score.

Would I be able to buy a new juice drum set up to fit this hub?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm gonna do it. The parts drawing just solved a few questions. i now went out to get a tech manual of my own. i think I'll try buying a new juice drum from CCI and put it on this wheel and a round swingarm.
Thanks for the help. ANyone have a round swingarm they want to trade?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Figured I should just add to this thread; Just bought this drum brake this morning, was told it is 67-72, but I am still not sure what I picked up. Also, I need a wheel and I think I need a star hub sealed bearing hub, still learning lots. Drum has serial 41409-67 Max dia. 8.060, back plate says Bendix 322922, shoes say made in Japan MK1058.

These Ebay wheels, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Spok...8925&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
come without wheel bearings. Do the oem replacement bearings fit these repops? And for my set-up pictured, would I only need one wheel bearing? b/c the other two go into the drum?

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you have a complete juice drum, late model, mounted on a midstar hub, can you just swap the external plate for the early model and keep all other component such as the shoes, the cylinder, springs, etc... ?

In the pics below I have the complete set up in the first pic (+ internals) and would like to mount it with the chrome plate (only the plate, not the internals), up and left in second pic. That's only to have the old style of brake anchor, easy to modify (to mount in a rigid frame)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.