Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I tried searching first but didn't find anything. When building a SPCN does the frame and trans have to have numbers to be used? I'm not worried about the motor because for the most part any motor stock or aftermarket will have numbers of some kind. If a bill of sale or MSO is supplied with the motor everything should be cool. But any older trans or frame has no numbers. I'm just wondering if they are going to want aftermarket shit just so they have numbers on everything. Thanks guys.

-Chris

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thats pretty much State specific. It's best to get with the BMV. You don't have to give them your name, just call with the general questions and they will transfer you to the right place.

The frame may be a problem with no numbers. Here in Indiana, you are assinged a VIN that has to be attached to the frame IF the manufacture of the aftermarket frame isn't a big name and in the BMV computer system. Most have been added now. I've been asked for tranny numbers and tranny MSO's but after explaining that I buy/sell parts and this is an HD tranny out of ......... Then I'm good with just a BOS.

I even was asked once for the numbers off the front-end ??

Sixball

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
If you call DMV you have a 99% chance you will receive incorrect information about SPCN registration. The Motor should have numbers, the frame if it's 1970 and later it should have numbers but there is no law preventing you from making your own frame without numbers. CHP will attach an assigned vin number plate (blue tag) to any frame without numbers. many transmissions have numbers some don't, some late model HD front ends have numbers. all you need is receipts, bill of sales or MSO's and you can get a title if you know what not to say to the authorities.
You are in Anaheim I'm in Orange if you need help getting a inspections and a title come by the shop and I'll help you out.
Click on the web site below for more info.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Tony, The bike isn't even close to done but I will definitely be getting in touch with you when it is. I'm still frame shopping and I just wanted to see if I could get any frame or if it had to have numbers. Frame shopping is gonna be a lot easier if I don't have to sorry about numbers.

Thanks again man.

-Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts