Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a sparx three wire rotor, stator, and rectifier setup for my 68 BSA A65 about a year to a year and a half ago.

Due to other issues i have only put about 2000 miles on it since the "upgrade"

As i was replacing the primary chain due to wear i noticed that where the wires go into the stator potting it's gone brittle and cracked the wire housing and insulation so that i now have three bare wires at the junction of the potting. If there was more than a little tit of wire sticking out i could splice the connections and be fine but the break is right at the potting.

Are the wassell units any better than this sparx crap?

I also think that the rotor rubbing the inside of the potting created gloop in the trans and contaminated the trans sump cause that thing was flat disgusting whereas before (when running the lucas original equipment the fluid just looked a little darker than when i put it in.

Anyone have any better suggestions for replacement without having to rewire the bike a third time?

First rewire was a crap aftermarket harness that all the connections failed on over a limited operating time.

Second rewire was my own creation that has worked well barring the crap Sparks unit.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
1st off, yes, both Wassell and Sparx are cheaper products but you may have other issues, the rotor should have about 10 thousands clearance all the way around the stator. it is likely the rubbing caused the stator to heat up and crack the wiring going in.
We have installed many Sparx stators and have never had that happen.Many times the studs hulding the stator need to be aligned to give the proper clearance around the stator. I would be looking at the run-out of your main bearing to see if the crank shaft is moving around causing all this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.