Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make the rear frame section of my sprty out of small I-beam, WHY? cause I think it will look cool, I am funny that way....

I spent all day yesterday going to steel yards in Houston looking and asking, they think what I want does not exist...

I am looking for a small i-beam, 1 3/4 to 2" tall...and an inch or less wide......any ideas?

My only idea is to weld two pieces of channel steel together and create an i-beam.....

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
174 Posts
big_al said:
I want to make the rear frame section of my sprty out of small I-beam, WHY? cause I think it will look cool, I am funny that way....

I spent all day yesterday going to steel yards in Houston looking and asking, they think what I want does not exist...

I am looking for a small i-beam, 1 3/4 to 2" tall...and an inch or less wide......any ideas?

My only idea is to weld two pieces of channel steel together and create an i-beam.....

What do y'all think?
Get it right and it'll look the dog's bollocks!http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8464&stc=1&d=1155148047

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moonshiners said:
early ford front end...? or is that to close to the latest "bitch builder" craze...?
That might be a good idea.......

·
Registered
344 Posts
don't say that you'l give me a complex! but yea, best way to get a good sturdy I-beam... dunno if it will work but it's what i'd use if i needed one -

only cos when i need something i try and make it out of something i already have, cos i'm a cheap SOB, and have a ton of crapola lying around....

·
Registered
770 Posts
The early ford front end aint gonna be the easiest to weld, gonna have to heat it up with a torch or something. It would be way word it though. didja try triple S steel? those guys have all kindsa junk.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tbone16 said:
The early ford front end aint gonna be the easiest to weld, gonna have to heat it up with a torch or something. It would be way word it though. didja try triple S steel? those guys have all kindsa junk.
Triple S said , "No DIce"

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think the early ford is ductile steel to allow for flexing. Not to mention it's fucking heavy as all hell.

For what you're trying to do I would think the T bar with a piece of flat bar welded to the bottom (or top) would to the trick. I've never seen T or I bar in anyting smaller then 3".

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
caffeine said:
mcmaster has it just do a search. not sure what sizes etc. you are loooking for though
Theirs are too big....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts