Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what everyone thinks about all of the motorcycle building Hype on the boob tube lately . I think some of the builders are great while others I just don't understand at all. One company claims to build theme bikes but all of them somehow turn out looking the same. Others build bikes that not only look uncomfortable but also look un ride able. What ever happened to good ole get down to business bikes that are agile, nimble, and can kick but ?Instead they drowned us with Technicolor machines with 50 gallon drums for rear tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I think the shows are largely gay, but I haven't seen one in a couple years. Back when I watched TV (ex-gf had cable and no garage to put my toys in), the shows were all about bikes I wouldn't be caught dead on. Actually, they were all about soap-opera-esque drama with enough yelling, throwing shit, and door-slamming to drive any customers away from an actual shop...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
dude...why do you keep bringing up these redundant boring ass topics? is this going to be followed by "what do you think makes a real bobber/chopper" or something about jesse james? the horse is dead man......leave it alone
 

·
Tiny Member
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
Why do you care about this stuff? Go work on or ride your bike, come up w/ some tech. questions, or post some pic.'s of neat bikes/parts/etc. you've run across. Anything but the Discovery Channel questions.

And if you're interested in that type of crap, there's plenty of it in the archives. Let the horse rest in peace already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
My dogs breath smells like poop, it needs to read tonys sig...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
i dont watch this stuff, because i have a life. actually i just havent had cable TV in 2 years. when i did have it i was always watching discovery,learning and the historycahannel(AKA the hitler chanel) when i wansnt wrenching. i did watch the car and bike shows, but i also love stuff on american history and technolagy. air and space travel, and even some geology and science stuff.

anyhow it occured to me recently. do you guys think science or history geeks watch those shows and than talk to their frinds(either i reality or on message boards) and say how gay or how wrong they are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
*warning : this veers off on a tangent*

I do think it is good that these shows have exposed builders like Indian Larry, Shinya Kimura, Exile, Eric Gorges, and Chica to the masses and shown that a show bike does not have to be some ovenblown unrideable ridiculous piece of useless shit. I also like to watch builders like them build shit. I think it's cool to watch Shinya take a blob of red hot brass and hammer it into a cool shift knob. You guys can concentrate on the negative all you want, and I will continue to tape the best parts of all these shows and play them back for inspiration. I will have to say it is because of these shows that I decided to make all the little bits of my bike myself, including stuff I could buy off the shelf, and stuff that really doesn't need to look cool like axle spacers. I don't care if I have the approval or recognition of other bike people or not and I already know the majority of regular folks won't get it either, but I like it and that's all that really matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I'll second that

ChopperMark said:
*warning : this veers off on a tangent*

I do think it is good that these shows have exposed builders like Indian Larry, Shinya Kimura, Exile, Eric Gorges, and Chica to the masses and shown that a show bike does not have to be some ovenblown unrideable ridiculous piece of useless shit. I also like to watch builders like them build shit. I think it's cool to watch Shinya take a blob of red hot brass and hammer it into a cool shift knob. You guys can concentrate on the negative all you want, and I will continue to tape the best parts of all these shows and play them back for inspiration. I will have to say it is because of these shows that I decided to make all the little bits of my bike myself, including stuff I could buy off the shelf, and stuff that really doesn't need to look cool like axle spacers. I don't care if I have the approval or recognition of other bike people or not and I already know the majority of regular folks won't get it either, but I like it and that's all that really matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shooty said:
dude...why do you keep bringing up these redundant boring ass topics? is this going to be followed by "what do you think makes a real bobber/chopper" or something about jesse james? the horse is dead man......leave it alone[

I could care less about Jesse James and I already Know what choppers and bobbers consist of. If you don't like what I have to say I would surely not twist your arm and make you read my thread. Thanks for the constructive criticism and incite.
Fred
/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
I could care less about Jesse James and I already Know what choppers and bobbers consist of. If you don't like what I have to say I would surely not twist your arm and make you read my thread. Thanks for the constructive criticism and incite.
Fred
but the problem is that you have nothing to say...you are just bringing up the same boring topics that has been discussed a thousand times. bitching about modern builders is as useless as the fat tire debate.....oh wait...that was you too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony Bones said:
Why do you care about this stuff? Go work on or ride your bike, come up w/ some tech. questions, or post some pic.'s of neat bikes/parts/etc. you've run across. Anything but the Discovery Channel questions.

And if you're interested in that type of crap, there's plenty of it in the archives. Let the horse rest in peace already.
The reason I have an interest in this crap is that I have ridden motorcycles my entire life and I understand what it takes to be a good cyclist and a safe cyclist . I think the majority of people still look down on bike riders and some of the junk that is being put on the street will just further that prejudice. I could be wrong
And I am sorry if I am boring and redundant. So much for that dead horse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ChopperMark said:
So Fred, what do YOU think about all this TV show nonsense?
I like build or bust. They make sure the bikes are safe to ride,If its not they don't get to keep it and the show lets you see more build time,what to do, and what not to do when you work on your motorcycle.There is also more than one builder on site so you get more than one opinion of how things should be done.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top