Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand the basic premise of how it works and I understand physics and engine operation, but not the ins and outs of dual motor setups.

How does the power get consolidated, if you will, to the transmission and the final drive? Is it a clutched system?

Or do I have it all wrong?

Just curious from looking at the Lowbrow dual triumph bike, figured someone here could answer

Lowbrow Dual Engine Triumph running

·
Registered
309 Posts
To put it very simply,

The two engines have their output shafts coupled via chain or belt. The Front engine is only connected to the rear engine, and the rear engine then drives the gearbox as per normal.

In any case it's alot of fabrication

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the front engine just driving the rear engine to run harder? I'm just trying to understand how the power from the front engine moves through the rear engine to the transmission.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Actually the primary chain and sprockets are timed so the front engine fires slightly before the rear engine. Usually in the range of 4-6 degrees before.

This makes the primary chain see a little smoother power delivery and increases the life of the chain.

Obvilously both engines are timed the same in regards to ignition timing.

I am doing a build tread on a double engine shovelhead and will be covering all these elements as we go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the info, I had the same question.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great to see this project coming together. 1st dual engine bike I ran across was in Mississippi in the mid 80's. Cool then and cool now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
ask adam he owns a boat with 2 engines ....lol

just kidding
like zeeman already explained ...it looks more complex ...but its dead simple to run
just use 2 of the exact same engines and all you need to do is like mrmom9r explained
just a small timing trick with the primary chain/belt setting
the front engine needs to fire just before the rearone to pull the rear up to his to peak so they both give you the extra torque and power you need (read want)

you can aslo pull a trailer with a bike like that iff you change the rear sprocket for even more pulling power or do hillclimbing with it ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts