Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So for the tanks! At first I made a cardboard model and taped it over the frame to see how it looks. I wanted to do traditional swedish style coffin tank, to get some volume for the tank and still having the slim looks.

Had to do small changes to the cardboard model as it looked too wide, and then made complete model with Solidworks to get all the bends right. Got the sheetmetal laser cut and boy I was happy fitting the pieces over the frame. The sides were cut to be bend with bare hands, so I got it right at first try. I tacked everything in place, bended the tunnel and fabbed mounts to the frame. The bottom parts were bended to fit the sides. Well, here's the picks:

Had to make the top of tank from 3 mm thick steel to help keeping it straight, the rest of the tank is made of 2 mm thick steel. TIG welded by the same guy who welded the frame. He made such a good work that it felt bad to made the welds smooth for paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So the old oil tank started to look too round and it had its own faults, so I made new one. Started with cardboard model, this time more photos of it:

Again, used 2 mm laser cut sheet but this time I got it fully bended so there wasn't as much welding as I desided to do this on my own. My Solidworks student license was outdated so I had to draw the sheets with my phone (been sketching and testing it for random stuff at work) and it took me one week to do the drawings during lunch breaks.

The tank has room for evo sportster battery and it should take over 3 qt oil (haven't measured yet). The battery is quite big for kick only, but when I have charging problems the next time, full battey might take me home. Got good original Harley rubber mount sportster battery from work, it should last years in this use.

The oil lines are at the bottom and the return line ends near filling cap so that I see the oil flowing. I tacked a washer to support the return line (that small dent on the right side panel), it is also great for monitoring the oil level.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I admire your work. I would not sweat the time it has taken,(spoken from someone who has been working on a flathead since 2009) and I haven't fabricated anything. I am just looking for parts and they bolt on. But I have been working 12 hour days 6 and 7 days a week for the last 11 years. Take your time (it will make me feel better) and, I am sure you will have a machine that you have a lot of pride in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I admire your work. I would not sweat the time it has taken,(spoken from someone who has been working on a flathead since 2009) and I haven't fabricated anything. I am just looking for parts and they bolt on. But I have been working 12 hour days 6 and 7 days a week for the last 11 years. Take your time (it will make me feel better) and, I am sure you will have a machine that you have a lot of pride in.
Thanks, it has taken some time as I have too many projects going on, I'm trying to do this 30 minutes before work 5 days a week, as I don't have my own garage at the moment. The guys at work are starting to insinuate that this has taken a lot of time, but for my defence their shovelheads haven't seen much road either just got myself new project to do after this one, traded some old parts of this bike to Buell XB9R engine (needs new bearings everywhere), that might get some flat track inspired stuff on it and self made light frame. It is hard to do parts for this chopper when you are thinking where to get the parts (and the money) for the next one...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Just this week I got enough time to tear this again to pieces and finish the frame to get painted. Also got time to go glass bead blasting a bunch of alloy parts (I'm not so much after shiny parts) so now I can start to assemble the engine and transmission and some other parts when tanks and other painted parts are getting painted.

I'll get deeper to the engine and trans rebuild later, as I'm stoked how well that carb looks with blasted body and polished brass parts:

I know I just said I'm not after the shiny parts but making good contrast is also important for me, so these raw aluminium parts needed polished brass to look good. I have electronic ignition and I want to use VOES as playing with springs and counterweights isn't much fun on the road, so I drilled an old S&S intermediate jet a little larger and made threads for that on intake manifold:

As the tins are ready for paint, I'm still not sure about the color thou, originally had plans with black frame and 70's Volvo blue/green, but it is not that great color when I saw it in person a few weeks ago. Some blue shade from Porsche would be good, or then Ford grabber green (if I stop believing in curses).

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Perhaps I've only seen the colors of Volvo's US export models. But when I think of the 1970s Volvo colors I get more than usually depressed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just realized I haven't been talking anything 'bout exhaust system. So here it goes!

The stock style low front pipe doesn't look good to me and I wanted to have some space to adjust the pushrods when needed (solid conversion lifters) so the front pipe had to go from left side. Used some old salvage bike exhaust tubes and two new 90 degree bends to start mocking the left side pipe. It comes to right side between rear cylinder and seatpost. Some aluminium heater pipe was handy when I tried different rear exhaust lines and I desided to make the pipe a little longer by making it go around the front pipe. Again, picks might tell more:

The left side has some curves so checking the timing is possible without taking off the exhaust. I ordered 4 tight radius 90 degree pipes and welded those to make the rear exhaust the same way as the mockup was:

It would be cool to use some short straight pipes in this kind of bike, but I'm still building this one to be my dd and long distance vehicle so it's got to have muffler. Made some 2-1 collector and tacked everything in place and started to make the muffler. There was one crushed V-Rod Supertrapp at work that got to donate its internal parts for this use, and I made core from stainless steel (happened to have 3" ss pipe at the pile that time) but I should have used regular steel as it is easier to weld. The pipe is still in progress as every time when I have some idea with it I run out of Argon and then I try to use MIG and 30 minutes later the exhaust looks like it should go to trash can.

Took the frame to powder coat today, I can't wait to assemble this one and get it running to hear how the exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
man, you have some serious skills :) that coffin tank makes my nuts hurt though with that high sharp back edge. in 1973 i stuffed my '60 panhead chopper halfway through the side of a vega that pulled in front of me. i was running a paugho coffin tank at the time and when i hit the car i shot forward and took the back of the tank square in the grapes. bad day at red rock..... :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks!

I know the tank is quite edgy, but I hope nobody drives a Vega anymore

Got the frame back from powder coat, still have to tighten the heads etc. before lifting the engine in. Lots of other stuff to do, haven't have time to cut the front brake rotor spacers or check all the bolts and nuts and order the ones tha are still missing. Also forgot to drill a few holes to the frame before coating, but maybe I can do those without messing up with the color. At least got the transmission all set up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Perhaps I've only seen the colors of Volvo's US export models. But when I think of the 1970s Volvo colors I get more than usually depressed.
Only the old light blue was looking good and as I didn't want this bike to be the same blue as my dad's Amazon, so I had to look elsewhere. I was checking color charts from different supercar manufacturers and there was some good non metallic colors but finally ended up with Peugeot ESD which is some kind of turquoise. It's close to some toy car and I think it should be great contrast color to that black frame and gray alloy parts. Hope I get the tins back soon so I can assemble everything, no need to install rear wheel without oil tank and fender.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Fitted the engine in frame and marked the rear motor mount to take out the powder from there. Also cleaned the transmission mounts too, so they are ready to be back in frame. Also installed grease nipple for the neck and drilled some holes for the wiring.

Took the front pulley and alternator rotor out, the rotor seems to be ok but I have to check the stator to be sure it's good to go. The stator plug wasn't so good, at least I'll need to fix that.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts