Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...normally I spend my JJ time lurking, as at the moment the only thing I have is a bloody helmet....and I feel like a twat making comments with no wheels. Anyho I was over in Blighty last week looking at an xs650 to buy (to chop) and popped into the National Motorcycle museum to get some inspiration, thought I'd share some pics. hello, love the JJ.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldspeed said:
Look like a drive belt to me, but I don't see any pulleys.
yeah, it's the spare belt as far as I remember.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,991 Posts
beautiful bikes, thanks for the pics. if you decide to get that 650 we have a few guys here (like me) with experience chopping them. be glad to help, here's my last one:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool bike!

Thanks,
I'll need the help for sure. That 650 didn't work out, turned out to be a basket case, I needed to be able to ride it back. There doesn't seem to be many of them about here in Ireland, in fact in 12 months I haven't come across one in any of the usual ad's. So it's off to England again. You get the odd old Triumph here, but 99% its always restored and really pricey. I'm on the look out for anything really, I'm not stuck on one particular bike. It was seeing the few xs650's here that made me start looking for them, you guys have some really excellent ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,991 Posts
Quinn said:
Cool bike!

Thanks,
I'll need the help for sure. That 650 didn't work out, turned out to be a basket case, I needed to be able to ride it back. There doesn't seem to be many of them about here in Ireland, in fact in 12 months I haven't come across one in any of the usual ad's. So it's off to England again. You get the odd old Triumph here, but 99% its always restored and really pricey. I'm on the look out for anything really, I'm not stuck on one particular bike. It was seeing the few xs650's here that made me start looking for them, you guys have some really excellent ones.
thanks. have you checked into shipping something over from the states? these things are cheap as dirt over here. hell, i got 4 in my backyard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lilbill said:
thanks. have you checked into shipping something over from the states? these things are cheap as dirt over here. hell, i got 4 in my backyard.
hmm...no actually. I'll check out the prices. 4 you say...any you'd be willing to part with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Hey is that museum the one that burned to the ground a few years ago? If so they did a hell of a job rebuilding. Broke my heart when I heard about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Surly said:
Hey is that museum the one that burned to the ground a few years ago? If so they did a hell of a job rebuilding. Broke my heart when I heard about that.
yeah, that's the one. I think it was two of the main buildings that burned down in 2003, They haven't restored all the bikes yet, but they've done a lot of them. I supose the positive thing about is that the bikes needed so much work that they're all pretty much as new now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
You guys know I'm HD thru and thru, but the more pics I see like these, the more I wonder how HD ever made it. I guess the military did it for them, is the only way I can see...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,991 Posts
Panhead Jim said:
You guys know I'm HD thru and thru, but the more pics I see like these, the more I wonder how HD ever made it. I guess the military did it for them, is the only way I can see...
it was probably like cars of the same era. the brands that survived were the ones who could master mass production and mass marketing. hell, microsoft has built an incredible empire with crappy products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,991 Posts
Quinn said:
hmm...no actually. I'll check out the prices. 4 you say...any you'd be willing to part with?
i only have one with papers and i'm chopping it to sell later. the others are parts bikes. but ebay and most bike boards have them all the time in the $200-$500 range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lilbill said:
i only have one with papers and i'm chopping it to sell later. the others are parts bikes. but ebay and most bike boards have them all the time in the $200-$500 range.
cool, thanks.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top