Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to replace wires but am having a hard time finding solid wire,i run a magneto so i need to solder the ends on which fit into the mag....Can modern wire be used somehow??...anybody done this???

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
bct said:
looking to replace wires but am having a hard time finding solid wire,i run a magneto so i need to solder the ends on which fit into the mag....Can modern wire be used somehow??...anybody done this???

Roll your own for a lot less than commercially made wires. This site has very cool cloth over rubber-covered solid core wire. Comes in very cool covers. Buy the ends seperately and crimp them on.

http://www.magnetoparts.com/cat_index.htm#Wire

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help ...nobody stocks solid anymore around here...untill i find some i'm going to make brass fittings on lathe w/set screw,,, to fit screw in mag end caps and convert it to fiber wires...am i nuts...any opinions on the use of modern wires on a magneto setup...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
bct said:
any opinions on the use of modern wires on a magneto setup...
Bad idea. Mags don't produce the voltage to overcome the resistance of modern wire. That's not just my opinion. It'll work, but not nearly as well as it should. You can get solid core wire at any lawnmower repair shop. NAPA sells the crimp-on ends. You have a lot more options online (see my previous post).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i thought i'd read something about the higher resistance on modern shit...thanks i'll keep lookin for solid...the NAPA here, and in other towns near here, do not sell wire seperate at all....all kits

·
Registered
338 Posts
bct said:
i thought i'd read something about the higher resistance on modern shit...thanks i'll keep lookin for solid...the NAPA here, and in other towns near here, do not sell wire seperate at all....all kits
Another option is to call the local tractor place.... They will have some solid plug wire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks faust...i did that today...got 6' wire,, ends and covers for cheap..they even had the petcock that i needed...funny they where more productive than the nearest m/c shop and napa and lordco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.