Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently listed my bike on CycleTrader and got a bite. After I sent more pics the dude just emailed the follow. Is this legite, or a scam? I'm waiting to reply until I know.

Hello,
I have just spoken with my client, I am delighted to tell you that he has recommended your bike and hope to pay $19000, he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction and he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a Cashier check of $25000 , which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this cashier check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check. So you are required to deduct the cost of the bike ($19000) when payment gets to you and refund $6000 balance to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping and other tax charges. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up & signing of papers and take to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer. Confirm this and forward your Name, Address and Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.
Regards
Darell

·
Registered
306 Posts
If the dude has that kinda cabbage to fork out then he should just send you a cashiers check for what you are asking. I would be very leary about the middleman wanting more and asking for a refund.

I would say no deal

My .02

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
yes id does sound like a scam. i heard about this recently hapennin' to a guy. it fucked up his bank acount and he was out his car and the money.

proceed very carfully here. maybe tell the guy the bike and the title do not leave yer possesion or even think about bein' loaded onto a shippers truck until the check clears.
or better yet.....pass on this shadey deal. another guy will come along.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It's a scam that's been around for a while, I think this started as one of the "Nigerian scams". Also be leary of Western Union Money Orders. Seems like they are easy for scammers to duplicate and are apparently hard to verify.
Messages in broken English are kind of a red flag too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
StraightPipez said:
I'm gonna fuck with the guy a little and see where it goes, but he ain't gettin' SHIT 'til I got cash in my hand.

Maybe Brad Pitt wants to buy my bike too!
It is most likely a scam. I've heard of these getting out of hand to the tune of 100's of thousands of dollars.

I'd suggest you delete the email and forget about it. You don't need to give the guy a reason to try to get you another way.

Just my three cents. Used to be two, but inflation's a bitch.

·
Registered
967 Posts
"...drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot..."

Just ignore the email and wash your hands of it. Screwing with the guy will most likely backfire - unfortunately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is absolutely a scam. It is a very common scam that is very often used on elderly people. It is run out of another country, often Nigeria, where US law enforcement has no jurisdiction once you're out your money. Don't even waste your time with this guy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Dude's, he replied. And you can clearly read this fuck is out of the country. His English is way too proper.

Hello ,
I read your mail and I understand your concern but I am out of town on vehicle inspection trip and I will call you as soon as I return to clarify the details of payment and pick up arrangement, this payment you are to get is in the amount of $25000 because it was meant to cover a cancelled order earlier made by my customer since the property purchased didnt meet the stipulated quality as we were informed during negotiation. Further more, the companies policy allows a refund payment on one cashier check, you are then required to deduct the cost of your bike which is $29000 when payment gets to you and send $6000 to my client's shipper ,who will come for inspection/pickup of property for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs, as my customer have decided to use this extra funds to settle all his shipping expenses and every other costs that need to be settled in the course of shipping his bike. I understand fully your concern and will assure you that all refund payment have always been handled in this manner since my years of being an agent ,so this will not be an exception . All you need do is to get me informed as soon as you receive payment for me to direct you on the right shipping agent to send the refund payment as my client would be travelling out of town soon for business and has entrusted the whole transaction on my shoulders .Expecting your email of reconfirmation .
Please call me any time you want ,though i am not in the office right now as i am out of town on official vehicle inspection duty,but you can drop your message so that i will get back to you as soon as i am back.
I will get back to you on the payment delivery update as soon as i confirm that from my client.
Darell
206-339-4873.
PLEASE CONFIRM AND FORWARD YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER FOR PAYMENT TO BE MADE OUT TO YOU ASAP

·
Registered
32 Posts
StraightPipez said:
I recently listed my bike on CycleTrader and got a bite. After I sent more pics the dude just emailed the follow. Is this legite, or a scam? I'm waiting to reply until I know.

Hello,
I have just spoken with my client, I am delighted to tell you that he has recommended your bike and hope to pay $19000, he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction and he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a Cashier check of $25000 , which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this cashier check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check. So you are required to deduct the cost of the bike ($19000) when payment gets to you and refund $6000 balance to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping and other tax charges. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up & signing of papers and take to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer. Confirm this and forward your Name, Address and Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.
Regards
Darell
Definite scam.

They give you a fake, but passable check.
You take it to the bank and get it cashed upon initial "verification".
You send them the difference.
Your bank figures out the check isn't legit after the fact and deducts all of the money from your account.
Even if you haven't given them the bike you end up out $6000.

Meanwhile, if at any point this doesn't work out for the scammers, they have nothing to lose.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.