Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type tire are you guys running on the rear of your hardtails? I rode hardtails when I was in my 20s now I'm in my upper 40s. My 49 pan I bought last septenber seems very hard in the rear end. It has a old Avon Roadrunner on it. So does any one have any advise on a better riding tire? I do realize nothing going to make it ride like shocks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dunlop 591s and 404s are both really soft. The roadrunners are pretty stiff. Basically, you can try to flex a new tire around and tell how easily they give. I just push on the sidewall, and then the tread. Stay away from any touring tire. If it's recommended for big bikes, it'll be harder.

I was shocked when I built my big tire rigid. I last rode rigids when they all had 130s, and the difference with the 240 is shocking. The 240 rides about like a lowered softail! I'm running a Meztler 440 0n it, but the skinny ones are a hair on the hard side. I run about 25 psi on the rigid. Also I maximize the front end action, with proper oil and spring rates.

·
4,052 Posts
130 Avon, 25 pounds.

Rides hard, but I'm a very young man.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I run my old Triumph with about 22-24psi...the book calls for 19, but that just seems too soft for my liking. I also run vintage tube type tires (softer sidewalls).
Honestly, between the soft rear tire and the sprung saddle, this bike is more comfortable to ride on a bumpy road than my Commando.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i agree with the tire pressure bit and that a couple of pounds makes a world of difference. also, have heard (but never run) the whole front-tire-backwards-on-the-back thing working well.

also might take a seriously look at how the bars and pegs are set up with regards to the seat. not sure if it is a stock setup but if not there is lots of room to tweak during the off months (if you have those). a properly set up rigid can be pretty comfy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it took me a little time but I went with the sprong seat. Got it from Dream Evil seems to be a real good seat. But It leeds to another Question any one know of a way to make the new leather seat not so slick. Other then just plain old miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
I thought it might be cool to run a modern dual sport tire that is mostly designed for on road/highway

These were 18" tires I was looking at for an invader wheel
Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion A/T
Shinko 705 Series
Kenda K761
Avon AM44 Distanzia
bridgestone spitfire

there's an assload of tires for whatever size youre running. Unfortunately you might be stuck in las vegas on the whole 'it has no suspension' rides hard thing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.