Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been wanting to do this for a while. A little run-down on what I'm working with....I've currently got three T140 750 Bonne's.....all left side shift, of course. I'm wanting to make the suicide shift handle tall.....coming up just even with the tank.....and mounting the clutch handle/cable on the shift handle. My dad's shop is a block away from a junkyard/scrapyard, so we always find some righteous junk to use on our rods and such. I'm thinking about making the handle out of a fucking huge ass con-rod, from a big compressor, I'm talking this rod is at least 2feet long, and about 3inches thick. It's pretty big. We also got some BRAND NEW stainless valves, for a compressor of the same size, that are at least a foot long. First question is, what problems, if any, am I going to have mounting the clutch handle/cable on the handle. Second question is, do you guys have any suggestions on what I should use to make the handle out of ?

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Got to be careful on how heavy your shifter is cause if your runnin down the road and hit a bump it could drop down a gear that aint much fun.Most just modify the standard clutch lever and attach it to the shift lever using it with a shorter cable.Hope the input helps and goodluck.
Shoe
Hard Luck said:
Ok, so I've been wanting to do this for a while. A little run-down on what I'm working with....I've currently got three T140 750 Bonne's.....all left side shift, of course. I'm wanting to make the suicide shift handle tall.....coming up just even with the tank.....and mounting the clutch handle/cable on the shift handle. My dad's shop is a block away from a junkyard/scrapyard, so we always find some righteous junk to use on our rods and such. I'm thinking about making the handle out of a fucking huge ass con-rod, from a big compressor, I'm talking this rod is at least 2feet long, and about 3inches thick. It's pretty big. We also got some BRAND NEW stainless valves, for a compressor of the same size, that are at least a foot long. First question is, what problems, if any, am I going to have mounting the clutch handle/cable on the handle. Second question is, do you guys have any suggestions on what I should use to make the handle out of ?

-Aaron

·
Registered
439 Posts
low weight is a big plus with hand shifters.
do you want it shifting on every bump at worst or just the extra wear on the trans parts.

here's a sample i did last year for a buddy of low weight...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, weight, something I hadn't thought of. See, I've never done this, so I asked you guys. Thanks for letting me know.

On a side note, the rods I was talking about using are aluminum. My dad made the exhaust hangers for his '32 out of 2 rods, cut the little end off, welded them together, and then threw it up on the mill and cut an inch off of each side, leaving it 1" thick. Of course, he had to put some "lightening holes" in it too. I'm just trying to think of something a little bit different than "the same ole thing", ya know. ;)

-Aaron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two rods that my dad welded together and milled 2" off of are pretty light. Next time I go to the shop I'll see if I can weigh them, and check to see if we have any more, and slide down the street to the junkyard and see if they have any more lying around. You'd never believe the shit people throw away !! I feel like a damn Fred Sanford rummaging through that shit sometimes !! LOL ! That reminds me, my dad bought some 3" stainless pipe....food sanitary shit that came out of Oscar Mayer when they closed down. That stuff is polished inside and out !

-Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.