Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully i'll be able to make it look good enough to post on the OIF Thread. This was by far the nicest stock all original bike I've ever hacked apart. Feels kinda weird, but I promised myself I will give it the respect she deserves. I hope she likes her new front end, I spent way to much money on it, but I felt compelled to get it.

here she is before,

and right now

yhea i know, i need a proper stand, but for now some wood, a car jack and some bolts drilled into the concrete with straps will have to work.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Stands are mighty nice, when I finally got off the floor and got one I couldn't believe how I ever got along without it. Anyhow, as far as your home made set up goes, there's no need for excuses...necessity is indeed the mother of invention.
I was going to add my two cents about trying to find a rattier bike to mess with, but I won't 'cause you 'get it' and it's your bike to do with as you like. Glad it had oil in it too :D Nice front end, what's it off of?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yup, ruining your bike. I've got to agree donar is too nice and a girder on a OIF is the fastest way to the sheet bus thread.

·
Registered
706 Posts
A nice stock Bonnie is one of the world's best motorcycles......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey man I've got a similar girder I'm using on my 66 triumph. I adapted tapered bearings. Should have pics in a few days.
i'd love to see it! i'll probably be bothering you when i get to that step.

as far as what i'm doing with my bike, yhea i knew i'd get crap but it's mine and i will enjoy it more than the dude that keeps their bike stock and on a shelf in their garage.
if i could have found a better donor that i didn't feel bad about cutting up, i would, but we don't have swap meets and abundant motorcycle parts here. it would be simple if i was in cali or almost anywhere else, but this was the only triumph within 500 miles of me that was for sale. believe me, i've been looking for 10yrs. it's never fun watching posts from people showing yards with bikes, or swap meets with bikes or seeing adds for bikes selling for cheap 1000's of miles away...bla bla bla
plus i love having something to work on, it keeps me semi sane, and the OIF is an extra challenge. i agree, it's either gonna look good, or it's gonna look like crap. there's really no in-betweens with the OIF's

·
Registered
992 Posts
ok boys we still got time to stop him!! I didnt see any metal grits on the floor yet.
Thats a sweet lookin trump ya got there oil in the frame . its probably tight too.

Does Buds bike shack , austin , still exist ??
Ive seen pics of it and it looks like a real shop

Ive seen a chopped oif and it looked a bit rude , theres no hiding that fatty ......and it was pink too!!

(Any jedis out there? make him put it back together)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yup, ruining your bike. I've got to agree donar is too nice and a girder on a OIF is the fastest way to the sheet bus thread.
I'll have to dig for it but there is a smokin' present day oil in frame with girder photographed out on the salt flats. It is here on the board somewhere. Almost everything about it looks 1940s ... and it is out on the salt flats.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I would almost be willing to bet that there are plenty of people out there that would be willing to trade you a much more suitable donor, plus some cash, for that nice original bike... and come to you to do it. Everybody wins.

In the end, it's yours. Do whatever.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
but this was the only triumph within 500 miles of me that was for sale. believe me, i've been looking for 10yrs.
In a city of a half million with a big history of motorcycle sport? You must be the poorest looker ever! I live in a town of ten thousand far removed from anyplace with no history of motorcycling (we don't have any dealer of any brand here!) and I have bought several Triumphs over the last couple years. And within 500 miles there is a huge area that has a huge number of Triumphs. Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Midland, Tucson, etc. So you must be either really slow on the uptake, or really lazy. The Triumph Daytona was even named for a race win By Buddy Elmore, a native of El Paso racing out of a dealership there. Hell, even Sherman Barnett has Triumphs for sale!:rolleyes:
Robbie

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.