Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, i picked up some NOS fork covers for my trump and...

I'm not sure the damn thing's are gonna work!
They looked different than the one's i'm used to seeing, and i bought them off the internet so i didn't have them in hand to compare..
I was told they were checked against a 67 BSA 650, 70 trump 500, and 67 Bonnie and they fit them fine..
-BUT-
It looks like i'd have to take the springs off in order for them to fit ( the covers and spring's appear to be about the same size although i havn't pulled my forks apart yet)....

I have a NOS set of fork seals and housings and the covers do slide inside them..with just a little room around the fork cover so it would be able to slide up and down without hitting..

Could this set of fork covers be designed to slide inside the seal housing?
Thats about the only way i could see them working.
That may be why the covers have an outward flare at the base..
The distance between the tree's is right, and the length to the seal housing's would be right if that was the case..

Any of youz guy's have a set like this? If so....what are they on?
If i can't use them...i guess i'll have to trade for a set that'll work on mine..that would kinda suck...these damn thing's have never even been on a bike..there damn close to perfect.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: So, i picked up some NOS fork covers for my trump and...

my bike is a 69 tr6r with a stock front end. i don't know which front end is on yours or what covers you have, but i bought a set on ebay of mcm covers and to fit them properly the flared tops of the fork seal holders need to be trimmed off. then the fork seal holders can slide inside the covers when the forks are compressed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: So, i picked up some NOS fork covers for my trump and...

hightest said:
my bike is a 69 tr6r with a stock front end. i don't know which front end is on yours or what covers you have, but i bought a set on ebay of mcm covers and to fit them properly the flared tops of the fork seal holders need to be trimmed off. then the fork seal holders can slide inside the covers when the forks are compressed.
Thats how i'm used to seeing them..
Here's where i'm confused...

These fork cover's actually slide INSIDE my seal housing's..not outside..
really strange..

My frame is a 68 T120, but my motor and wheels are from a 71 TR6R..so the front end may be the 71..it does have the handle bar mounts cast into the upper tree rather than dogbones..

THANKS for the input though..it's appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hightest, do you by chance remember the part# of your cover's from MCM?

·
Registered
57 Posts
argh, i'm afraid not.

but the next time i get to the garage (probably monday) I'll get a look and see if they have anything on them.
i really only remember a little mcm sticker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
do your forks look like... you know, a regular looking japanese front end with rubber wipers, or did they have the big rubber boots covering the springs?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hightest said:
do your forks look like... you know, a regular looking japanese front end with rubber wipers, or did they have the big rubber boots covering the springs?
It's deffinately a Trump front not jap. and it did have the boot's over the springs.. here's the only pic i got of the front end..
No prob on the part #..just wondering.

I need to do some more checking tomorrow, i just got the covers today..
But i don't think the're gonna work.
They have to be for a smaller bike or something.. Not sure yet.

Thanks man...
Tony

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey Tony, I have some similar ones I got for my 66 500cc. They fit my stock front end fine, but mine do not "bellow out" at the bottom like yours. Mine fit over the slider.

I got mine from Rask cycle, I think they have a pic of them on their site if that helps,
Erron

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am almost sure that what you got is a set for pre unit forks the pre unit forks are not as big around as the unit ones.Also if you look them up at risk i think you will find two sets newer unit or older for pre unit.Hope this helps jeff

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never thought about a pre unit...
My uncle has a couple of them, i'll get a hold of him and get some measurements..that could be.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dragon said:

I have several different types of those and was not sure about the application for the smaller ones ..

had thought maybe earlier BSA or even their singles, as the top taper is different too; but pre-unit sounds likely too ..

I'll try and steer Wes onto this thread as he sells them and has seen plenty ..
I had talked to Wes a while ago before i bought these wondering if he had any, at that time he didn't but he said he does come across them from time to time..
He may be able to shed some light onto the subject....

Do you have any you wanna sell??
Being these won't fit, i'm still in the market for some that will :D
thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They are for a pre unit...I just bought 2 pairs and had the same problem....mine were MCM part no. FC-1.

I was able to swap a set for the correct ones which are wider at the bottom and fit over the chrome slider once you trim the little lip off.
________
Dispensaries

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Tony said:
Hightest, do you by chance remember the part# of your cover's from MCM?
The MCM covers I have for my unit triumph have part # FC5 on the little sticker,they are 15"long,2 1/4" bottom outside dia and1 7/16" top outside dia.Top to bolt hole centre for lower triple clamp 6 3/4" I hope that helps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
RidingHood said:
The MCM covers I have for my unit triumph have part # FC5 on the little sticker,they are 15"long,2 1/4" bottom outside dia and1 7/16" top outside dia.Top to bolt hole centre for lower triple clamp 6 3/4" I hope that helps.
THOSE are the one's i need right there!!
Thanks for the info RidingHood!!!

Now, anybody got a set you wanna let go of??
:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts