Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....yesterday. Rode down just for the hally-baloo of it. Wasn't really much to see there. A nice RD 400 Daytona Special, some nice customs. But did raise a question. Why is it becoming prevalent for people restoring MC's to over-restore them. THere were many bikes that had powder coated cases, and other things that would have never come out of the factory. Just seems odd, being that a lot of these individuals would probably be the first to criticize a custom.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Scratch,

Did you get any pictures? I'm the VJMC webmaster, and we just put some pictures from the show on the website. Looks like everybody had a good time this year, it was wet and rainy last year:

http://www.vjmc.org/articles/05_whiterose/index.htm

http://www.vjmc.org/articles/05_whiterose/index2.htm

Honda CB92, a badass factory race bike in 1959:

A 1951 Honda Dream Type D, Hondas weren't imported to the US until 1959 so this one snuck in on a banana boat (or something):

This guy won best of show with his Honda Super Cub 50:

As far as your question about over-restoring: who's sicker? The sickos who use modern techniques and materials to get a "better than new" finish, or the sickos who scuff up that brand new finish and leave imperfections in their work to be period-correct "cause that's the way these bikes were originally built"? Me, I just ride the hell out of em!

ol_scratch said:
.....yesterday. Rode down just for the hally-baloo of it. Wasn't really much to see there. A nice RD 400 Daytona Special, some nice customs. But did raise a question. Why is it becoming prevalent for people restoring MC's to over-restore them. THere were many bikes that had powder coated cases, and other things that would have never come out of the factory. Just seems odd, being that a lot of these individuals would probably be the first to criticize a custom.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Was there much Swap Meet action?
I had it marked on the calendar, but lack of will power keeps me away from most shows unless I'm looking for something specific.
Otherwise I'd have a house full of bike projects in addition to my yard full of car projects.
Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JEB said:
Hey Scratch,

As far as your question about over-restoring: who's sicker? The sickos who use modern techniques and materials to get a "better than new" finish, or the sickos who scuff up that brand new finish and leave imperfections in their work to be period-correct "cause that's the way these bikes were originally built"? Me, I just ride the hell out of em!
They're both suffering from the same illness, just different strains. :)

Neither is a resto.

Sorry don't have any pics. Wish I would have got some of the Daytona Special. JEB, wish I would have known you'd be there, woulda been cool to meet. Maybe next year, I usually check it out even though I don't have any Saki rockets. I like old bikes of any type.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nappy said:
Was there much Swap Meet action?
I had it marked on the calendar, but lack of will power keeps me away from most shows unless I'm looking for something specific.
Otherwise I'd have a house full of bike projects in addition to my yard full of car projects.
Thanks for the photos.
Scott and I went down noon Sunday, and there were still a fair amount of vendors, so I imagine Sat. there were a good turn out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Likewise, it would be cool to meet. I wish I was there, but I was here in 105 degree Texas. The promoter Robin Markey sent me those pictures to put on the VJMC website.

I like old bikes too, Saki or no Saki! :D

ol_scratch said:
JEB, wish I would have known you'd be there, woulda been cool to meet. Maybe next year, I usually check it out even though I don't have any Saki rockets. I like old bikes of any type.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JEB said:
Likewise, it would be cool to meet. I wish I was there, but I was here in 105 degree Texas. The promoter Robin Markey sent me those pictures to put on the VJMC website.

I like old bikes too, Saki or no Saki! :D
You mean Robin Markey of the Etters, PA Indian dealership family fame? I didn't know he helped put that on. I sometimes drive by the old shop and think about what it musta been like in its hey-day.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's him. He's headed to Davenport Iowa next weekend. When he gets back I'll ask him if he has any pics from back in the day.

ol_scratch said:
You mean Robin Markey of the Etters, PA Indian dealership family fame? I didn't know he helped put that on. I sometimes drive by the old shop and think about what it musta been like in its hey-day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.