Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy gave me a call the other day and said he was checking on hotels. Said they were filling up pretty quick so I better make a move. I told him that my understanding is the most of the Cali crew will be camping. Am I on the right track? Shit I dont even know where the camp grounds are.

I know it's 3 months away but hey might as well start a conversation on it now.What are the plans, chime in Cali crew?

Me, I'm not as young as I used to be, and since I plan to take the shvl I sure dont feel like trying to get there in one day. Hell I'm a gubment employee so I have all the time I need. So I'm thinking leave here on Tursday the 5th. Maybe lay over some place close and hit the road again on Friday (My 50th b-day) and just cruise in all rested up and what not.

What about you guys?

·
Banned
648 Posts
Hola Fredo,

We had talked about camping, but haven't made any solid plans or reservations or anything. I guess it's about time to start thinking about that shit. We are planning to do it in a single day, but we'll hook up with you again once we get out there. If you do the research and figure out where you want to camp, pass the word so we can gets spots at the same place.

-Bill

·
Registered
726 Posts
The hotels figured it out and doubled the cost of rooms. I got a room months ago for $66 a night at the Super 8 and a buddy just reserved a room last week for $130 a night. Pretty sure Cottonwood is sold out by now.

If you really want to get a room you could also try Jerome which is a few miles away and every hotel there is haunted......so says the chamber of commerce.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Polock Joe said:
The hotels figured it out and doubled the cost of rooms. I got a room months ago for $66 a night at the Super 8 and a buddy just reserved a room last week for $130 a night. Pretty sure Cottonwood is sold out by now.

If you really want to get a room you could also try Jerome which is a few miles away and every hotel there is haunted......so says the chamber of commerce.
Been there guys, the shit IS haunted, and I didn't think I believed in that stuff. Bad mojo in Jerome. Sedona is freakin' beautiful. FYI

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are plenty of camping areas around Cottonwood. There is a state park right on the verde river(?) that is almost in town. I will find out the name. Its perfect for bike/car camping, has bar'bque pits and is only a mile from the Cottonwood skate park.

Bones 777

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good to me thanx for the heads up. so far I havent found anything by doing a google on camping near Cottonwood. I'll try some more tonight. I like rivers, some place to place the boisterous drunks Ha Ha.
Also we should see about a preliminary head count, incase there is a reservation issue we might have to deal with. I'm sure there will be plenty of campers looking for a place too.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matthew in SD said:
I planned on camping too... what time of day are you leaving Fredo?
Early starts have always worked for me. Say around 8 or so? I know Mike (surfinbiker from the horse is in) and a few others. I thiunk I'm going to take that brit wheel over to mikes house in northpark this weekend, give me a call lets start working this one out.

PS: Bill, Magoo, the rest of yous, do you guys have any prelim plans yet?

·
Registered
114 Posts
O.K., the campground is a state park called Dead Horse(irony?) State Park. It is a pay campground, but is cool and has a good location. I don't know where the fairgrounds are though. It should'nt be to fuckin hard to find once your there though huh? I can't wait!
Bones777

·
Banned
648 Posts
Thanks Bones!

Fredo, our tentative plan was to leave Temecula about 0800 on Tuesday. We're doing a vendor's booth and got to be there a day early to get shit set up. If we get there easily and everything is dialed in early, then fuck it, we'll just camp out and get drunk. Well, even if we get there late that's most likely what we're going to do...

The route McGoo mapped out is pretty cool, keeps off freeways for most of it and the first quarter of it is through the same areas as the EDR route. We could do it faster just hopping on the 10 and hauling ass, but just doesn't seem as worthwhile. Anyone who feels like it can ride with us but don't expect much, this isn't an organized deal, just some jackasses riding through the desert in the same general direction.

'Ol Harold has scheduled two days of riding too, but fuck's sake I think we should be able to pull off 425 if we have no mechanical issues. OK, who am I kidding? If you decide on a good halfway point, let us know, we're leaving that part a little loose to see who breaks what where.

79 east out of Temecula to 78 east (50 miles through Warner Springs to Julian)
78 east from Julian to 86 south (60 miles)
86 south to Brawley (25 miles)
From Brawley, take 78 east through Imperial San Dunes recreation area to Palo Verde, CA (80 miles)
From Palo Verde, continue on 78 N/East to the 10 freeway in Blythe, CA (15 miles)
10 east freeway out of Blythe, CA through Ehrenberg and Quartzite, AZ (50 miles)
Continue on 10 east freeway to AZ-60 east (15 miles)
Take AZ-60 east through Salome and Wenden to Aguila (75 miles)
In Aguila, take 71 north to Congress, AZ (25 miles)
In Congress, AZ, take the AZ-89 to Humboldt, AZ (30 miles)

total estimate mileage = 425

AZ Prick from the EDR emailed and suggested we change one leg of the route so we will be changing it a little bit, but I couldn't remember the part he wanted us to avoid (I think it was the 89).

Gonna be fun...

-Bill

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to give that route some thought, sounds like a good plan. Maybe me and a few guys from down here will meet you along the road. What about camping, Bones mentioned dead horse area. I have no idea where that is but I like the idea of a river so it sounds good enough to me..

·
Registered
322 Posts
That route up through Congress is kick ass! You go through the mountains up to Prescott and then on up. The road from Congress to Yarnell is a favorite among the local sportbike crowd.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm tryin to get a pack of us from the Midwest to ride out...who knows might meet ya guys out there show ya how us northerners get'r done...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Since nobody up here is willing to ride down . I might as well ride down and head out with you guys .
Sometimes I think I should just move back since I'm there all the time !
Uh ! Wait theres no traffic here and it cheaper to own a machine shop . I guess I'll just keep on driving down there .
And a heads up I will not be taking the BSA . Instead I will be taking a roadstar1600 ridgid . Thats if its done of coarse !LOL

·
Registered
884 Posts
Trumpnut said:
Since nobody up here is willing to ride down . I might as well ride down and head out with you guys .
Sometimes I think I should just move back since I'm there all the time !
Uh ! Wait theres no traffic here and it cheaper to own a machine shop . I guess I'll just keep on driving down there .
And a heads up I will not be taking the BSA . Instead I will be taking a roadstar1600 ridgid . Thats if its done of coarse !LOL
trumpnut. if you want to ride with someone then head west to the sac valley. 'cause there should be about four of us riding down from sac and hopefully picking up riders along the way.i'm figgurin' i'ts a two day ride. if not we'll see you down there.
should be some camping info here
http://www.azstateparks.com/parks/parkhtml/deadhorse.html

·
Banned
648 Posts
Dead Horse it is. The irony of the name kills me. I'm making reservations for our posse tomorrow. Probably two or three sites. I don't feel like being organized enough to get a group site.

Nick, quit screwing around up there in Carson and just move your ass back to Fallbrook already. I'd bug you even more if you were that close!

-Bill

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool Bill, if you dont mind post the info for reservations and I'll do the same from work in a cpl of hrs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts