Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a battery and would like the smallest one available that will run everything reliably. Besides wiring my bike up, this is the last thing I need to do to ride.

Specs:
'74 ironhead
headlight/tail light only, no horn/no signals
cycle electric generator
points ignition/
electric start, no kicker

Part numbers and/or links are much appreciated. Thanks a ton for the help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know how much smaller of stuff there is out there.....but I am running a V-ROD battery. about $100. It's pretty small.

1967 XLH, electric start, headlight, tailight. no signals or horn.

stock generator, cycle electric regulator. points.

found this:

ETX14 type, 12 AH / 200 CCA, size: 5 7/8" x 3 7/16" x 5 3/4"

But you can just....GULP...walk into any Harley Dealer and they will have it on the shelf.

or go here for less money and wait on it to come in the mail......> http://www.wholesalebatteriesdirect...n-65948-00-65948-00a-replacement-battery.html

·
Registered
371 Posts
Look into full spectrum batteries or ballistic batteries. I run a twelve cell ballistic in my hayabusa n it starts it fine. The othet option is to run something w nust about enough cca n run a srcond battery in line to hit the starter w 24 volts. Thd full spectrums are all American made i think in Virginia

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody for the info.

mines awesome,
Thanks for this. That was pretty awesome. So what size bike and how big and heavy(light) is your battery?

·
Registered
65 Posts
ShoraipowerUSA has lithium/iron batteries. Half the regular size and 2 lbs.
I think you mean "lithium ion". Same stuff cell phone and laptop batteries are made from.

Shorai seem to make a good product, but I can only recommend against them. Their customer service is some of the worst I've seen. One of their batteries malfunctioned in a customer's bike (which is totally understandable... even if problems are one in a million, somebody gets that one...) and took out the ignition box. Instead of standing behind the product and fixing what broke or offering to replace the battery, or even asking to have it back to test it themselves, they told the customer that their battery couldn't have caused the problem and then threatened to sue our shop and our service manager personally unless he changed his diagnosis.

In the end, the service manager didn't retract his statement, they didn't sue, we discounted the parts and basically did the labor for free to get the bike back on the road (since the customer paid for it), and the customer still left with a bad taste in his mouth. So yeah... that's why I'd recommend against using a Shorai battery. Good product. Lousy service.

Those Ballistic batteries are lithium ion, too. Same size/weight/output. I ran a similar setup for a couple of years made up of A123 cells that a hobby shop put together for me, and it worked great. I ran eight cells, but if I did it again, I'd go for twelve.

·
6,351 Posts
$159?!?!?!?

Small 2.3 Ah AGM batteries are $35. I'm on my 3rd season with one on a kick only shovel. Take some of the money you saved and get a Battery Tender.

·
Registered
65 Posts
$159?!?!?!?

Small 2.3 Ah AGM batteries are $35. I'm on my 3rd season with one on a kick only shovel. Take some of the money you saved and get a Battery Tender.
That 2.3 Ah battery is fine to run an ignition and lights, but it's not going to crank over the starter on an ironhead. Price out an AGM battery big enough to reliably run that starter (probably 12 or 14 Ah nominal), and I think you'll find that you're right back in that $150 neighborhood.

With lithium batteries, you could probably get away with 7 Ah or so, since they seem to be a little meaner about the way they discharge. Twelve cells (3x4) works out to 6.9 Ah, and I think that'd do it. As I said, I ran 8 cells (4.6 Ah) for a couple of years on my new Triumph, and they always got the job done, but sometimes it would take a minute.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again guys! I think I'm going to go with the Ballistic since it's so small and light.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Ballistic battery is a lithium ion battery of the lithium iron phosphate type, so it's sometimes known as a lithium iron battery.

Bob
Huh. Yeah. I guess the second part of LiFePO4 is iron. I've been messing with this stuff for a few years, but I've honestly never heard them called that. Learn something new every day, I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts