Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty certain I know the answer but my prognosis is bad and I'm hoping some know it all will let this neb in on something I don't know.

I have a 1977 xlh Ironhead. On take off (if I allow it to by not getting into second fast enough) First gear will slip into neutral. Which I then simply shift into second.

From there and on up through the gears the bike is fine. I've just learned that my first gear is just "real short" and I shift into second quick. I hardly ever let it slip but occasionally when I'm zoning out I'll let it happen when I don't shift through fast enough.

Is it true boys? Is she going:confused: Is this the begining of the end?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning. Sounds like a shifter fork is bent or a tophat roller on the shifter pawl is trashed. More than likely a bent fork. If you have the tools to get into the transmission, it is not a real hard fix. A shop manual would help, or a good reliable shop that will work on sportsters. My diagnoisis is not absolute, but from what you describe, that is what I think.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Don't trip, just dig into it. You and Mike built it and enjoyed the build so now its time to work it amd enjoy the joys of harley ownin and maintainence.

As far as an issue, sounds like shovit has a good explanation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts