Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size and pitch are the lower motor mount bolts on an Evo Sportster?
They aren't 1/2 coarse or fine,and they aren't 7/16 coarse or fine.
It looks like a 7/16,but it has me baffled.Nothing fits.
Could it be a 7/16x24,by chance?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend is telling me that isn't even threaded,but it sure appears to me that it is.
Oh and I should have been clearer-I'm talking about the rear of the motor.
3/8 will push right through,7/16 won't.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Id say 18 threads, yer going to have to get OG HD ones, the ones from your lokal Hardware store wont work.......

·
Registered
223 Posts
And.........are we talking about the bolts that hold the rear mount to the cases? Or the bolts that hold the motor into the frame (the bolts in front of the rear tire...)?

Maybe a pic if a description won't cut it.

Justen

·
Registered
165 Posts
Parts book for a '99 Sportster sez that the 4 bolts that go through the frame and the flange at the rear of the transmission are 3/8 x 24, 3-1/2" Hex Head, Grade 5.

I'm 99% certain that the 91-92 and '93 books I have will say the same, but I'll dig 'em up tonight if you want.

As far as I'm concerned the HD parts catalog is an even better investment than a service manual.

Doc

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
The factory bolts are definitely 3/8x24.
Factory lengths are too long for a chopper.
I used 2" on the lower bolts,which slide through the frame piece,through the engine mount hole,and into a threaded nut
May could have used 2" on the top,but wanted a bit more-couldn't find 2 1/4,so went with 2 1/2 and some washers and nuts.
Got it all cinched down,and it ain't moving,so life is good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A friend is telling me that isn't even threaded,but it sure appears to me that it is.
Oh and I should have been clearer-I'm talking about the rear of the motor.
3/8 will push right through,7/16 won't.
The top two bolt holes on iron heads are not threaded but need nuts

G

·

·
Registered
165 Posts
I thought the question was about Evo Sportster's....:confused:

The Evo Motor's have the rear mount casted into the case....Unlike the early Ironhead motors....Was also thinking that the rear bolts went up in size from the 3/8" of past models...And they no longer threaded into the frame.

Think I will slow up on thinking so much in my old age.....I Think..:p
OP was about EVO Sportster: check
Rear mount flange cast into case: check
Not threaded into frame: check
Went up in size: bzzzt! :D

The bolt goes through the frame from the rear and through the case flange to, according to the parts book, a flat washer, lock washer, and flanged (shouldered) nut.

I tell people it ain't that I can't remember, I'm just managing too much data....

Doc

·
Registered
457 Posts

The Evo Motor's have the rear mount casted into the case....Unlike the early Ironhead motors....Was also thinking that the rear bolts went up in size from the 3/8" of past models...And they no longer threaded into the frame.

His buddie was telling him that they wern't threaded so I ASSumed he(his bud) was thinking about an Ironhead.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Not all Evo Sportsters have the rear mount cast in. My '86 is still the bolt on rear mount like IH XL motors-believe they were like this until '91 when the 5 speed came in. But otherwise-glad the question got answered.
Just some further info.

Justen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts