Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 1/2 inch cold rolled steel thick enough to make a sissybar? This wouldnt come more then 3 inches off the fender but is it strong enough to possibly hold someone sitting on the fender without bending?

Also (rigid harley) how much ground clearance do you have? I know the springs in my front end arent compressed all the way but ive got at least 5 1/2 inches between the ground and my frame. Is this about average with no stretch or rake? (the frontends about 3 inches over) .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
1/2" should be fine, that's what my sissybar is made out of. I would use 5/8" if you have some available though, especially if you will regularly have someone on the fender.

Most of my bikes have around 4" of ground clearance and they are fine, so 5 1/2" should be plenty.

yard man said:
Is 1/2 inch cold rolled steel thick enough to make a sissybar? This wouldnt come more then 3 inches off the fender but is it strong enough to possibly hold someone sitting on the fender without bending?

Also (rigid harley) how much ground clearance do you have? I know the springs in my front end arent compressed all the way but ive got at least 5 1/2 inches between the ground and my frame. Is this about average with no stretch or rake? (the frontends about 3 inches over) .

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
]

Thanks. Dont really plan on having to many people on it concidering where im puting the pipes. But just makeing sure if i did the thing would support them .

I wondered about the ground clearance because it looks so high I thought the kickstand wouldnt be long enough. (dont have it yet so i cant be sure)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts