Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering the advantage of single fire ignition I am thinking of switching from points to electronic on my kick only 74cui flh shovel I have never ran electronic and think it may help for the cold weather starts here in kodiak Alaska just don't know if a single fire set up is better than dual thanks for the help and any brand recommendations is appreciated

·
Registered
81 Posts
I swear by single-fire ignitions. My '88' FXR daily driver is 80-c.i./11.5 comp. with Redshift .585 cam. With Screamin' Eagle dual-fire ignition and stock starter setup it always shot a flame out of the rear exhaust along with a slight grunt upon startup. After simply changing to a Crane HI-4 single-fire ignition the bike starts relatively effortlessly (no flame or straining) and the bike gained 1 m.p.h. in the quarter-mile with no other changes (jetting, timing etc.). The bike starts, idles and cruises so much smoother than with the dual-fire deal. Keep in mind this engine has 235 lbs. of cranking compression. This bike was drag raced heavily for almost 10 years with plenty of street duty in between and the original stock starter is still in place. I did replace the original solenoid.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 72' ironhead has never ran better than when I switched to single fire. I got the ultima system that comes complete with single fire coil and wires from Jireh for 155 shipped. I believe its the same part number for a shovel. Search on eBay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts