Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a number of big twins in single down tube rigid frames, mostly show bikes, but never had the chance to ride one.
I'm pondering a different frame for my shovel and thinking about a single down tube frame. I would like to hear of first hand experience of those of you that have rode single down tube shovels, pans, knucks........do they have ill handling, twisty, twitchy, flex? Bad idea? Not much difference?

I already have a single tube frame bent up and ready to go together, I was building it for a different bike, but now thinking of using it for my shovel. Just not sure if its a good idea for a shovel that is going to see some miles.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Got a buddy that rides a pan in a VL single downtube frame. LOVES IT!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The engineer in me tells me that a double down tube frame can be made more rigid than a single down tube, but the practical side of me tells me that a hardtail custom bike will demonstrate handling limitations from other factors before frame rigidity becomes a factor. If you like the look of a single tube, go for it.

Bob

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Have a chat with the guys at Chassis Engineering in Cali, they build them as do a lot of others but that's who will be building mine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ive talked to alot of dudes that had single downs, and they never said anything negative about it. Ive had one single down rigid, but it was a 650 bonnie. Alot lighter bike. But I liked it alot, and it never flexed or handled any different with my 300lb ass hammering it through twisties?. IMHO, nuthin sweeter than a skinny panhead in a singleloop frame. Especially in a VL frame! Pat46, can ya post pics of yer buddys Pan? :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I think the Motor Shop frame ran the single tube all the way under the engine and back to the seat down tube. The main problem would be ground clearance on a setup like that. It wasn't as big of a problem back when they were new, because folks were running extended frontends that raised the frames. Now that everyone wants their bikes low and with the lower frame rails parallel to the ground, could make for problems. I guess there are ways around this, like straght bottom tube and raise the engine or dual bottom tubes and going to single tube above the front engine mount.
I guess the up side would be that you didn't need to run a skid plate.
Larry T

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Never any problems with custom single downtube frames..

(But a buddy of mine had a Panhead in a VL frame.. he had to reinforce that frame intensively...it flexed quite a bit at first..)

·
Registered
935 Posts
if you use a large enough dia. tube it will be structuraly sound,bound to flex a tad more than the double tube but probably not noticeable .if you're gonna go that route you may as well go the extra step and use twisted square,or hex stock IMO that is the best look available.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Anthony at chassis is the man. I've had some origional motor shop frames, the tubing they used is extremely thin walled. Anthony will make you anything you want and it will be top quality!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on running two lower rails and a single down tube. I thought about the single loop style frame, but I will continue to run forward controls. I think the single loop style frame looks cleaner with mid controls.

This is one of the frames I have bent up. I haven't notched the tubes or started building it yet. I may have to make some adjustments to this layout to fit the shovel better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would definitely hit ChopperDave up for a motorshop frame.I used a vintage singe down loop moly frame that weighed 23 lbs. bare.Most including myself found it identical to wayne engineering frames.
The 1929-1951 solo 45 frames were single down loop.And I know a 45's not close to a shovel engines weight.The WLD,WR,etc. flat trackers put out the horsepower of near stock shovels and had the hell beat out of them,including their single down loop frame from the 1930's through 1951.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So what's wrong with using a VL frame SDL??? I'd never use a 45 frame.

the weight of the shovel would be alittle more than a Flathead, but not significant, and the modifications wouldn't be horribly difficult.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts