Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fella I work with and I were bouncing around ideas for my brakes. He mentioned a single brake system. Right foot controlling front and rear brakes from one master cylinder. I have been trying to find a good diagram, because I really don't want to have my brakes not work when I need them. I have been looking like crazy, and have found nothing. Anyone have any good diagrams, websites that have diagrams, or possibly even a kit? Even opinions on this are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the master cylinder for the rear brake would connect to this, and then I can dial how much pressure I want sent to each brake? Such as 70% front and 30% rear, like it is supposed to be? Or does this take the place of the master cylinder, and still dial in?

·
Registered
690 Posts
The GoldWing has had interlocked brakes for years. There is no adjustment of the proportioning valve that I know of. The foot pedal actuates the rear brake and one side of the twin front discs.

Works pretty good, but in an emergency stop you still need that second disc up front when stopping that beast.

Might be all you need with something lighter, but I'd damned well would want to get very familiar with the braking before heading out into traffic!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Front braking all the time has to be hazerdous. On a huge 700lb plus bike it might be ok, but on a smaller bike I would be weary of gravel and cinders and such but every person i have ever seen have that setup says it works great and is non hazerdous soo... There a member from Spain that did it on a sportster , Akim is his name I think.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23594&highlight=Sportster

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike is pretty heavy for is size. That and I am 265lbs so no shortage of weight for stopping. The proportioning valves that I just looked at can be adjusted, which is the only way I would do this to ensure plenty of power up front.

·
Registered
431 Posts
there are adjustable proportioning valves, and you'll want one. The big thing is learning to ride with it. It's a lot harder to gauge brake feedback with your foot as against your hand. With enough practice, it's totally do-able. Honda did it because so many people refused to use the front brake, so they tricked them into using it by interlocking them. They were trying to keep the "nicest people" from squishing themselves into obstacles!

Personally, I want complete comtrol of which brake has how much pressure. I've heard that ABS really helps with stopping distances, but I'm still stuck in the past on this one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Personally, I dont like the unified brake. It works ok, but I still add braking in the front by hand. It just doesnt feel right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my honda vtx 1800 has them linked, cant really see any benifit from it actually it makes the back brake feel not as strong. just my opinion though and you know what those are like

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
there are adjustable proportioning valves, and you'll want one. The big thing is learning to ride with it. It's a lot harder to gauge brake feedback with your foot as against your hand. With enough practice, it's totally do-able. Honda did it because so many people refused to use the front brake, so they tricked them into using it by interlocking them. They were trying to keep the "nicest people" from squishing themselves into obstacles!

Personally, I want complete comtrol of which brake has how much pressure. I've heard that ABS really helps with stopping distances, but I'm still stuck in the past on this one.
I will have to say that ABS has no place on a bike its unlocks the brakes and throws you into an roll when the ground is uneven and on a 900 lb. bike that is not what you want , I can tell you from experience , I am thinking of disabling my ABS.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Never rode an ABS equipped bike, it and unified braking are two different systems.

With unified brakes on my wing, you cant lock up the front by the pedal alone. Grab the lever and add the second disc, no problem!

I'd still rather have separate brakes, if for no other reason that all my other bikes have separate F/R brake systems.

No time to adjust a variable proportioning valve when you need to, but a separate front brake is infinitely variable with the pull of the lever.

Like I said, I have it, I'm not greatly impressed, but it hasnt put me into a dangerous position because I still have the other front brake.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Do not do this, only if you drive on the open road with long streight drives, realy sucks around town or in the rain.......Roach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts